Arm lifts, bad timing and realistic expectations

Heather L.
on 4/21/17 3:07 pm - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

So, I'm booked for my brachioplasty on May 8th. I've done all my pre-op diagnostics, picked up my prescriptions and am stocking up on protein-heavy meals in the freezer.

I'm super excited and ready for the surgery... but, my boyfriend and I just scored the most amazing house and we move in... on May 13th.

This is all sorts of exciting, and terrible, for many reasons:

1. I've never lived with a partner before.
  2. I haven't moved house in 13 years.
  3. I'm irrationally terrified that my indoor-only cats are going to escape out an open door only to be eaten by a coyote in the forest next door.
  4. I won't be able to participate in any meaningful way to the the move (lifting, carrying, cleaning, etc).
  5. That I'll be in so much pain and lacking mobility that I'll be an extra stressful and unwanted burden on everyone through what is already a stressful situation.
  6. I'm **** at asking for help and accepting it when it's offered.

I guess, other than unloading, what I'm looking for are any kind of true-life stories about how you fared after your arm lift. How was the pain? What was your mobility like at one-week, two-weeks? Can I go back to work at two weeks or should I take three? When can I wash my hair or put my bra on myself?

So many questions! Any and all input is gratefully accepted. I'm starting to freak out and I could use some help talking me off the ledge.

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

Laura in Texas
on 4/21/17 7:17 pm

When I had my arms done, I was wrapped tight light like a mummy for the first 3 days. After that, things were much better. I remember a lot of drinking from a straw. By day 10 I could have returned to work, but I had taken 2.5 weeks off.

The pain was tough for the first 3-4 days. I think I stayed on pain meds for a week. I am sure I took a shower just fine by the end of the first week.

I hope you have a speedy recovery!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Leslie W.
on 4/22/17 2:08 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Don't plan on doing any lifting or cleaning. Did not find the pain unmanageable but you want to make sure you heal. I was able to shower and wash my hair. Had a front closing bra which helped. Had drains too. You need to ask your surgeon what type of garment they use post op. Mine used no compression garments. With your move I would take as much time as you can.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/25/17 7:36 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I had my arms done last year and I have a clear message for you: Based on how you phrased your question and your concerns - you should seriously consider delaying your sugery, unless you are only having a mini-arm lift with arm-pit only scars. You should talk to your dr IMMEDIATELY.

Here are my thoughts:
The long term issue with an arm lift is the appearance of the scars. You should do NO NO NO lifting that soon after surgery and nothing to cause you to sweat, which will cause swelling and worsen your long term scarring. So, unless you can sit in a chair and point where other people are to put your things, then delay your surgery. There is no reason to pay $$$$$$$ and then make your scars worse.

The return to work timing depends on your job. Even without doing alot of lifting, I had to keep my arms raised quite a bit to reduce swelling. Being on a computer for very long was out for a few weeks.

Recovery for plastic surgery is much more difficult for me than from RYN surgery.

Sharon

Most Active