How much does excess skin weigh, typically?

Misce
on 5/11/17 9:21 pm
VSG on 11/19/13

Today, I had my first consult with a plastic surgeon. I was told that the skin around my abdominal area was about 12 pounds and my arms and upper back would be 7 lbs of removal. Now, this is a person (me) who has lost a considerable amount of weight. My highest recorded weight was 470 and I am now 170...I have a lot of skin. My legs he didn't even put an official number on.

I told him that I was interested in losing another 20lbs before my surgery date this summer and he told me straight up, "No."

He said with the removal of the skin and then the little extras. I will easily lose at the least 12 lbs, then another 7, and that would total the 20 I wanted to lose. I still plan on losing @ least 10 more lbs though (to make me happy).

I hope that helps & yes I am reducing my personal weight by 20lbs at taking my skin in consideration, but with a person who didn't lose the amount of excess weight that I personally did I would say it is a case by case.

NYMom222
on 5/12/17 6:58 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My 360 body lift was a total of 4.5lbs, my arms 1 pound, and my legs 1 pound. So total of 6.5lbs. Not much. That being said, I did lose some weight with each surgery just from - I just had surgery and am recovering and don't feel like eating...

All skin...that being said it looked like I lost 30 or 40lbs....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

DollyGirl3
on 5/14/17 1:12 am
Hi I had lost nearly 200lbs when I got my LBL, torso plasty and breast lift, I was 35lbs down right after. I went in at 210, I weighed in at 181 about 6 weeks after all of the swelling went away. I am currently 150lbs... and about to go for an arm lift and breast revision... I expect much less this time, maybe 5-8lbs, as I suspect I will be on protein drinks for 10days as no one wants to eat when they are in pain. I suspect some fat was removed in my previous surgeries also, hence the right number... it really does depend upon fat/skin ratio.... P.S you are doing beautifully with the VSG.... way to go !!!
ssflbelle
on 7/10/17 7:14 am - West Palm Beach, FL

I had lost 275 pounds when I had my breast reduction FNG 2 weeks ago. The Doctors took off 6 pounds of deflated skin. Today I weigh 214.6. Not sure if that is as a result of the 6 pounds of skin being removed or the fact that I am eating higher protein and less carbs than before the surgery. I am still very swollen on the back left side. I see my VGS surgeon for my 1 1/2 year follow up in 3 weeks and would really like to be below 200 when I do, but 14 pounds seems like a lot when I still can't exercise. Hope he understands if I don't get below 200 by that date. It is not his goal but my own.

There is still a lot of excess skin on my arms, legs and tummy. The majority of the excess skin is from my huge tummy. Am hoping more than 10 pounds get removed from there. Will just have to wait and see if insurance will approve for that to be removed and how much less I will weigh at that time. Am thrilled with the B cup boobies considering I came from an all time high of an I cup.

Amanda    Surgery was 1/26/2016 Surgery Weight  314   Highest Weight 497

lost  183 pounds before surgery

Most Active