Medical tourism for PS

Robert P.
on 5/5/17 8:10 pm - Pelham, AL

After going from 468 down to 238 (back up 100 and down again the hard way), I'm finally going to make plans for PS. I'll end up needing some face work that I'll have done locally, but to make it affordable. I need a fleur de lis abdominoplasty, a chest and flank lift, and finally my thighs done.

I had done some research years ago when I had first lost, but was looking for some more recent recommendations. Has anyone here had any particularly good (or bad) experiences in either Mexico or Costa Rica with post-WLS plastic surgery? If so, I'd love to get some information, either in response here, or as a PM, if you'd prefer.

Thanks a ton (no pun intended).

Robert

High 468 / Surgery 433 / Current 243/ Goal 219
AggieMae
on 5/8/17 3:00 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

Um... "the hard way"?????

I wouldn't hesitate to have surgery abroad if I was always normal weight. Skin that is stretched and damaged from extreme obesity does not behave like healthy undamaged skin. It takes lots of experience and skill to repair it.

I researched this extensively and decided to pay the extra $ to have surgery close to home because I just couldn't get past the issue of a wound opening or getting an infection and the surgeon being 2,000 miles away...

Robert P.
on 5/8/17 8:56 pm - Pelham, AL

Impossible to come up withe the $35,000 necessary to have it done locally. Also, not likely to find someone locally who has done as many extensive post-WLS plastic surgeries as someone like Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey. I certainly wouldn't do it without having a post-op follow-up plan with my local bariatric surgeon who I know from growing up near me. Haven't gotten a consult yet, but $8000 is doable, $35000 is not. Not sure what the price differential will be yet.

Robert P.
on 5/8/17 8:57 pm - Pelham, AL

Is the thing in Chicago just for general info, or is he going to have time for individual consults? Can't drive that distance just for a presentation.

comeundone
on 5/9/17 5:22 am - OH

He consults you as an individual. I went to Vegas last year to meet him. We went into a room and he asked what I would like done and expectations then said what he thought i should get done & gave an estimate. There were 4 or 5 former clients there to share their stories/show scars. I am planning on coming I'm 3 weeks post op now so I'll be 3 months post op where my scars are still healing/ not faded.

HW 289  SW 242

Robert P.
on 5/9/17 7:25 am - Pelham, AL

Going to be end of year before I'm back down to my goal weigh and stable for 3 months. Wonder if there is another one coming up later. He could still give estimate, but I'd like to be down to where I need to be so that he sees exactly what he's working with.

comeundone
on 5/9/17 10:19 am - OH
comeundone
on 5/9/17 10:21 am - OH

When I saw him in Vegas I was heavier by 15 pounds I told him I was going to lose about 10 pounds and did

HW 289  SW 242

Robert P.
on 5/9/17 10:28 am - Pelham, AL

OK, cool.

AggieMae
on 5/10/17 11:15 am
VSG on 10/25/16

You don't have to be a goal for an in person evaluation. It would be a great way to go. I might look into it myself since I would have a local PS group available for emergency follow up. Most PS will not touch anyone else's work so not everyone is lucky enough to have this option.

FYI, The cost of "medically necessary" skin removal, except for 10% of your net income is deductible from federal taxes, so surgery in the US might be within your means.

Most Active