Fleur-de-lis Abdominoplasty... experiences?

Dee_Caprini
on 1/10/20 3:47 pm

Has anyone in here had a fleur de lis abdominoplasty? how was your recovery? I went to a few consultations and only one surgeon recommended a straight forward abdominoplasty and the other 2 for the fleur de lis. I al leaning toward this procedure because of the "B", (and that not for boobs... lol) that my stomach has.

What are your experiences?

catwoman7
on 1/11/20 8:07 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I don't think too many people on here have had an FDL. I was wanting one, but two of my three consults recommended doing a standard one first and then doing the FDL cut during my next set of procedures if it was still needed (I was kind of borderline). As it turned out, I didn't really need it. I'm not sure if the recovery on an FDL is tougher than a standard abdominoplasty, but recovery even on the standard is kind of rough - but I had lipo and fascia tightening (which some refer to as muscle tightening), which supposedly adds to the pain. The first week was pretty bad - getting in and out of bed was a painful affair - but after that, it was mostly discomfort.

Dee_Caprini
on 1/13/20 10:19 am

Thank you catwoman! It's all new and hopefully, I can find a few others who can chime in to provide some feedback.

so is fascia tightening different from the muscle repair of an abdominoplasty?

catwoman7
on 1/13/20 10:33 am
RNY on 06/03/15

it's the same. I asked my surgeon's nurse if the surgeon included "muscle tightening" as part of his abdominoplasties, and she said yes, but that it was technically the fascia they tighten rather than the muscle (I'm guessing that means it's the fascia they REPAIR, too....but not sure about that...)

Dee_Caprini
on 1/13/20 10:57 am

Gotcha! Thank you!

Leslie W.
on 1/13/20 4:57 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Had a Fleur-de-lys TT about 7 years ago. I dealt with the skin below belly button as weel as above. The surgeon was able to remove all abdominal excess tissue. If you have excess skin above belly button the FDL is the way to go as it solves those issues. while just a TT will tighten the muscles it wont deal with excess skin on the sides. As the pain is basically the same (the muscle repair hurts the most) why not do it at the same time.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Dee_Caprini
on 1/14/20 10:40 am

Thank you, Leslie! Have you stayed the same weight? experienced regain? lost any weight since your procedure? I have worn a compression tank from Slimpressions for quite some time, every day and it helps me feel "put together"... do you feel "together"? if that makes sense?

Leslie W.
on 1/14/20 2:50 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Guess I gained about 15-20 lbs over the years. Had some complications from a surgery that caused weight loss. Sit at a size 10 since wls. Love my TT. Going for lipo in February just to add some definition to waist.

Biggest thing I found from plastics is that it is addictive. Regain is normal. after the honeymoon period after WLS it is normal. Just keep to the rules and watch intake. While I can have a cheat day still cannot eat much. Fat and carbs will make me sick still. Forget large amounts of sugar or ice cream.

Love my new release on life. Living better and love life since had my RNY 8 years ago.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
(deactivated member)
on 5/10/20 8:40 pm

You should have a reasonable diet and exercise diet to have an ideal BMI and a healthy body. bmi calculator

Poppygail
on 5/11/20 3:51 pm - Florence, KY
RNY on 03/06/13

Hi Dee, I had a FDL with fascia tightening ~6 years ago. I won't Say the recovery was easy but it wasn't as bad as I expected. The 1st week was the worst and total recovery probably took 3-4 weeks. I slept in a recliner for the 1st week or so and was able to stand upright in 5-6 days. I wore a compression garment For several months. I was extremely lucky in that I had only 1 small necrotic spot where the vertical incision met the horizontal one and this healed relatively quickly and without consequence. I was below my goal weight, too small actually, at the time of the FDL and eventually gained to my goal weight which I maintained +/- 5 lbs until the last year.

I was diagnosed with a type of dementia ~3 years ago and it is affecting the hunger center in my brain, alternately making feel as though I'm starved and cant get enough to eat or causing me to have absolutely no desire in food. It is also screwing with my impulse control which really doesn't help when you're a grazer. I've gained and lost the same 50 lbs 3 times in the past year. I'm currently ~40 lbs over my goal weight and dropping. At this time food is of little interest to me.

I mentioned this last part so I could relay that in spite of the repetitive weight gain/loss, the results of the FDL have remained with little change in my abdomen. However, the love handles are determined to make a return appearance.

Hope this helps in some way.

Randy

Most Active