I was just diagnosed with PCOS or Metabolic Syndrome

laurajean1014
on 5/16/06 8:06 am - Trumbull, CT
What can I expect out of meds, exercise, periods, etc. My dr. wants to put me on Mediformin.
JennHaynes209
on 5/17/06 4:24 am - Riverbank, CA
Oh I take metformin and it makes you really nausiated...and have the runs alot...but yes it will help you to lose a little bit of weight cause you don't have an appetite and it alos got me pregnant.....but I didnt notice periods coming more on time
Darlene X
on 5/18/06 9:01 am - Maricopa, AZ
I had no side effects from metformin. It did supress my appetite, but I had no bad side effects. It started regulating my periods also, which had never happened before in my life.
laurajean1014
on 5/18/06 10:52 am - Trumbull, CT
My doc is mailing me the prescription, so I expect to be on in a week or two. I just came back from a Bariatric Meeting and I am doing the LAPBAND! There was a pretty lady who did lapband 2-3 years ago and her before was exactly as I am today. 272, 42 wearing a 24. She is now 100 lbs. lighter, where's a 14 and looks great. I may never been ideal or thin, but if I could get similar results to how she looked, I would do it in a heartbeat. I have the pulmonary dr. tomorrow and the social worker on MOnday and then we submit to insurance. Yay!
Kristy T.
on 5/18/06 11:52 am - Stockton, CA
Metformin is an insulin sensitizing drug that makes your body more sensitive the insulin put out by the pancreas since women with PCOS have insulin resistance. Metformin can help with weight loss and return of normal ovarian function (because of the weight loss), but it's not that way with everyone. As for exercise, moderate exercise helps along with a diet low in carbs and higher in protein. As for your cycles, that really depends on how bad your PCOS is and how well you do with your diet/medication/exercise regimine. Good luck! Kristy
Elnora
on 5/23/06 7:22 am - Riverside, CA
Meds, If they work for you great, if not they'll make you sick and really show you nothing good from them. You can't cure it so don't even bother trying. Metformin made me so sick I decided that was the final stray and had a gastric bypass. I'm 5 days post op and I feel like I was a moron for doing it. I'm sure that'll pass but right now suffering from it. PCOS can ruin a life if its bad enough so I think maybe that lapband is probably the most realistic shot you have. I would however try the drugs first. If you're one of the lucky few who it works for then don't do the surgery.
Steph1986
on 5/28/06 11:04 am - Greenville, NC
I tried Metformin to help with weight loss; however, I was so nauseated, I was only able to take it for a couple of weeks. I used Prometrium to regulate my periods and ended up getting pregnant as a result. My doctors also had me on chromium piccolinate (weight loss) and spironolactone (facial hair). I didn't notice any advantage to either. The most successfull thing I tried was a very low carb diet at my doc's suggestion. I did lose 20 pounds, but of course it came back plus some. Make sure you have an educated team of doctors who are very familiar with PCOS and are willing to try several treatments, if necessary.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1049 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2997 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3609 views