Questions about PCOS and WLS

Rachel K.
on 5/30/06 9:42 pm - moore, SC
Howdy yall!!! I have just been diagnosed with PCOS after years of no periods and infertility. I am looking into WLS but have been searching for statistics on which (RNY or Lap Band) is more effective for controlling weight loss. I really am interested in the Lap Band because I am sorta scared of the side effects of the RNY. Please share any advice....
jgowan
on 5/31/06 3:01 am - Sierra Vista, AZ
I have been diagnosed with POS and will have surgery to remove my right ovary soon due to a large cyst that is giving me alot of pain. But to answer your question I want to have the wls RnY after I have the ovary surgery. I was lead to believe that when you have POS you always will have a weight problem. My Doctor told me that this will not cure the problem. Jessie
Elnora
on 6/2/06 9:16 am - Riverside, CA
Hi Rachel, I've been dealing with PCOS for about 4 years now. Tried all the drugs, all the treatments, and now RNY wls.. My doctor is a great guy he let me try anything and everything I could before deciding to do the WLS. What it came down to for me is. You take all these pills none of them really ever work, they make you sick, and cause their own side effects that require more pills. Now PCOS has no cure BUT if you can get down to a normal healthy weight by everyone I have ever talked to it should "in theory" give you peace from a great number of your symptoms. So I'm 2 weeks Post op I've dropped 30 pounds so far.. 100 to go. My skin has cleared up from all the water. No new skin tags have grown lately. The facial hair is still there (but granted its only been 2 weeks). I've gotten a period already. So all in all I think my doctor was correct that WLS will give me back a normal life not ruled by PCOS.. GL in your journey with this.
heatherevond
on 6/4/06 11:15 am - Madison, AL
Hi I am nine months post op and down 91 pounds. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 (currently 26) and struggled for years with my PCOS. My primary concern was having children. With help and hard work (fertlility treatments) I have two beautiful children. Around 6 months after having my daughter I couldn't get my blood pressure down and DH was pushing for baby number 3. I knew I could not handle life in that body any longer and there was definitely NO way I could risk hurting another baby because of my size (that was my thoughts about myself). I looked into the surgery and found a great surgeon. My blood pressure is now controlled with 1 of the 3 medications that I was on. I am trying new things that I never allowed myself to do before because of the weight. But, I am still struggling with the PCOS. ..... I'm not saying this to scare you. I wanted and still hope that losing the weight will cure my ills caused by the PCOS. My facial hair is still here (grows faster due to vitamins.. my personal opinion), my ovaries are covered in cysts, and my cycles are out of whack. Go into WLS because you want to be healthy. Do it for yourself and be prepared for the PCOS symptoms to drop a bit. But, be prepared to be smaller and still battling PCOS. There are a ton of "normal" women battling PCOS along with us "big" girls. My WLS surgeon said it like this: The surgery is a tool, not a cure. Good luck to you all! Heather
Brig
on 6/4/06 1:56 pm - Sterling, IL
I have PCOS and was diagnosed 13 years ago. I went thru infertility with my first 2 children. The third was a wonderful surprise. I wound up with insulin resistance diabetes and was on over 300 units of insulin a day. My starting weight on Sept 30 2003 was 319 lbs and now am at 193 pounds. Still struggling to lose the weight but am no longer on insulin for diabetes. I do take glucophage to help with the resistance. It is still there but if I could get the rest of my weight off I think it would be gone for good. I still have really heavy periods and started on progesterone every 2 months to keep the bleeding down. I still have ovarian pain. I do now get periods on my own every month like clock work for the first time in my life. I do have signs of ovulation now that were never there before. I had my tubes tied after the last one so I'm done with my child bearing years. I am a new person now and free from my 7 shots a day. I would do the surgery all over again. The results of the PCOS were ballooning up to over 300 lbs and the diabetes and both are pretty much close to being cured. I am alive and will now live, god willing, to see my kids graduate and have there own children. I hope this helps you. Good luck on your decision. Brigitte
Laura M.
on 6/6/06 2:10 pm - Toronto, Canada
Hi Rachel...I was diagnosed with PCOS 10 years ago. I have tried everything to get this weight down, and nothing ever made it even budge. I am at the point that I feel I have NO other options, and I need to stay healthy. I am scheduled for Lap Band surgery next week. I have spoken at length with my Doc as well as in these forums and many women suffer from this syndrome. From what I have heard, many Bandsters are also finding great success with their band. I recommend that you go into each individual surgery forum and ask about success rates. Do your research and then decide. For me I feel the Lap Band is the best option...and hell, I am going to make it work! Best wishes. Feel free to email me if you have questions. Laura
Michelle_h
on 6/9/06 6:55 am - seattle, WA
I was diagnosed with PCOS hmm.. 14 years ago? I was a freshman in highschool, and probably the only freshman girl in those days to be on the pill! I am scheduled for my lap band next month. I have no idea how it will effect the PCOS - but since PCOS is linked to weight and insulin - I have hopes that I will balance out a bit. I'm lucky that I do not have cysts or ovarian pain - just very infrequent periods and the heavy hormones and hair growth. I'll let you knwo how things work out as they go along! Michelle
jess1178
on 6/11/06 11:34 am - NE
I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago. I got the Lap Band in Dec, so 6 months ago. I have lost 58 pounds as of today. I'm very pleased with the results. I no longer take Metformin. Blood sugars are perfect ever since the surgery. My irregular periods are now normal 34 day cycles. I'm very happy with my choice. Jess 253/195/140
Robin R.
on 8/6/06 6:30 am - Livonia, MI
I have PCOS. I am almost 7 weeks out from RNY and I feel great! My skin is TOTALLY clear! I haven't had my Met since I had surgery. Oh, I have lost almost 40#! Right now I am on Provera to induce my period. Then I will be on Seasonal BCP's for a year. I need either BCP's or Provera to keep my body healthy. I am Extremely irregular. I few years back I ended up with a pre-cancerous condition, because I didn't have regular periods. Anyway, RNY was for me, because of my sugar/carb addiction.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1049 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2997 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3609 views