Boils and PCOS

Shannon J.
on 6/17/06 6:12 am - Lahaina, HI
Does anyone else have recurring boils??? I am a very clean person, yet I always end up getting boils on the inside of my leg??? Is this PCOS or?????? Mahalo Shannon
Kristy T.
on 6/18/06 4:41 am - Stockton, CA
I've heard that boils are more prone in women with PCOS but boils are really just small skin infections caused by Staphlo****us aureus which is a common bacteria found on our skin (it's the most common cause of breakouts too). If it gets to be too bothersome don't squeeze it, it could rupture internally instead of externally and could cause the bacteria to invade your bloodstream which can make you quite sick. Instead use a hot compress to bring it to the surface and have a physician lance it to drain it. Kristy EDD 8/6/06 33 weeks today! It's a girl - Alice Kay
AK
on 6/19/06 8:57 am - western, MA
Boils are often a sign of insulin resistance, which is a symptom of PCOS. I suffered from these for 10+ years - before my doctor put me on metformin. I haven't had one since!!! So ask your doctor for some glucose testing to see if you are insulin resistant. You might be pleasantly surprised with the results. Also, be careful with popping the boils - I ended up with one on my shoulder blade that my doctor sent me to a surgeon for! I was so shocked, but they were worried it was near to my heart/brain. I was told only to use hot compresses to bring it to a head. Once it opens and begins to drain, I keep it covered - often, a large gaping hole appears, and you need to watch that for infection. Hope this helps! Check out soulcysters.com - they have lots of posts on this topic!
harpertjh
on 10/20/06 11:48 pm - Parsons, WV
This problem is actually what made me check out the PCOS forum. I had been told I had PCOS years ago but have been suffering from Hidradenitis Suppurativia for years. The condition involves a blockage and infection of the Apocrine glands. Many of these conditions are related to each other. The insulin resistance, PCOS. and others. I am hoping to find someone else with this problem who can tell me if it has improved with WLS. If you need more info you can check out this site. http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic259.htm Michelle
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1058 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3011 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3618 views