New to PCOS board...a couple of questions

jenihig
on 1/22/07 9:06 am - FL
I have never been able to get pregnant due to PCOS/ infertility issues. Even tried Clomid for quite a while years ago. We finally adopted our son. I am working toward have Lap RNY. Of course my doc suggest birth control for a couple of years after surgery. I don't have a clue what kind of birth control to request. I am thinking about IUD. I don't really want depo. Any suggestions??? 2nd question... Have any of you decided post-op and after reaching goal that you didn't want to get pregnant? I want another baby and to experience pregnancy but I am curious how I will feel after losing all of that weight. Thanks, Jenifer
Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, 
            it became a butterfly
-anonymous
Butterfly
Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3
Nikki Knull
on 1/23/07 4:44 pm - carrier mills, IL
i 2 couldnt get pregnant b4 WLS and that is the biggest reason i had it...i was also wandering what type of BC 2 ask 4...i dont want 2 use n e thing that takes 4ever 2 get out of my system b cuz i wanna get pregannt asap after the dr. gives me the ok...i havent changed my mind about having a baby...like i said above thats y i did it..but i think that u have 2 get used 2 being a smaller size even if u dont get pregnant so y should it b n e differant...i think it will feel wonderful 2 b pregnant after i lose enuff weight!!!!

wife_mommy.gif picture by sassyred_02 Happily_Married.gif picture by sassyred_02 2most.gif picture by sassyred_02

bridgetl
on 1/24/07 4:18 am - Hewitt, TX
Hi, I also have pcos and want to ttc after weight slows down. My doctor recommended Nuvaring. It's easy, effective, little or no side effects and the day you quit using it, you're fertile. My gyno was hestitant to put me on a lot of other types of b.c. because the doses are dependant on your weight. If you are changing weight frequently they aren't effective. You might read about it on their website. Good luck on your surgery.
jenihig
on 1/24/07 1:39 pm - FL
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it. On one hand I will be 37 if I stay on BC as long as the doc wants me to and my son will be almost 8. On the other hand, I will have a ton more energy and a baby will keep me young. I will need a shopping partner as a I get older so a little girl would be perfect. I probably won't change my mind, but like I said, you just never know. I am very thankful to have been blessed with our son, so even if we never have another one at least I have had the pleasure of being a Mommy- to me that is what counts. Jenifer
Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, 
            it became a butterfly
-anonymous
Butterfly
Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3
Kristy T.
on 1/24/07 6:21 pm - Stockton, CA
Hey there Jenifer!  I too was never able to get pregnant as a pre op.  We went through 8 years of failed fertility treatments before I had surgery in 8/04.  At 12 months post op I got the ok to ttc from my surgeon.  I had been on the OrthoEvra patch during this time once I was under 200 lbs.  At 12 months post op I stopped using the patch and we used condoms to see if my body would ovulate on it's own & cycle on it's own...and it did!  For the first time in my LIFE I was regular & ovulating!!  In November 05 we decided to not use condoms and I got pregnant that month.  Finally 10 years after our ttc journey began I gave birth to my DD. It was hard to see that scale go back up after working so hard to get it to go down...but my desire to be a mom outweighed my fear of gaining weight. Good luck!
                     102_1463.jpg image by goddess819                                               102_1481.jpg image by goddess819    
Lilypie - (8NSG)            Lilypie - (HyKO) 
happywife
on 2/3/07 10:41 am
I have PCOS and i have a 15 year old son. It was just a fluke that i got pregnant and they were shocked. I don't want anymore kids as i am extremely happy with my life as it is. i have tried many different kinds of birth control and just recently about 6 months ago my doctor suggested an IUD. i was shocked because i had heard bad things about it. she told me that that was a long time ago and now they have "revamped" them and they don't have the problems they used to have. i got one and i LOVE IT! i will never use another kind of birthcontrol as long as i can have this IUD. it also has a little bit of hormone that helps with the monthly cramps. i do want to warn you though. the insertion is very uncomfortable, like very bad cramps. Also for several weeks afterwards i had cramps which is normal. then it all finally subsided and it's great! your body just has to get used to the foreign body being there. i would recommend it to anyone. Cherie
StacieB
on 2/28/07 4:51 pm - Portland, OR
I use Yasmine bc pill. All the others I've tried make me feel crazy... this one actually regulates my mood along with my period. I love it.
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/07 1:42 am - Plymouth, MN
I just like StacieB use Yasmin.  I really like it.  It helped me lose a little weight, but eventually gained it right back.   I have PCOS and that was the reason for going on Yasmin.  I got pregnant last April unexpectidly, and miscarried at 8 weeks.  I'm deathly afraid that I won't be able to have children some day because of this, and being overweight.  I am almost 100lbs over my "normal" weight range, and this is a main reason I want this surgery. I am currently at 245, and 5'10" tall... I carry everything right around my waste.  ugh.  I'm just starting this journey and checking out Lap-Band.  I have an appt with my main doctor next week.  I'm incredibly afraid that insurance will deny me though since my BMI is 34.4 and I borderline qualify.  It's only going to get worse, weight wise in my book and I've never ever been successful in losing weight and keeping it off - and this is my last resort.  I'm young, and I want to get in shape, and get healthy for when I want to try to have another child again.   The only other comorbidies I have are well, PCOS, Hypoglycemia w/ fainting spells, Depression/Anxiety, and endless diets growing up with no successful loss. Anyone else in the same boat?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1076 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3032 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3630 views