Should I be medicated for PCOS?

Candle
on 2/21/07 11:48 am - Long Island, NY

I was formally diagnosed about 3 years ago.  My gyno sent me to an endocrinologist because I had a history of skipping a period like once per year. Only twice has it been more than one consecutive month and they've had to give me __________ (can't think of the name) to get things jump started.  I have the facial hair and excess body hair problem I've never tried to get pregnant and don't ever plan to be. My SO had a vasectomy last year. I guess overall I am pretty lucky with my lack of complications/symptoms but I wonder if I should be on medication. The endo prescribed Glucophage ... but I never filled the script and never actually went back to see her. I guess at the time I just wasn't ready to accept all the health complications and damage I have done to my body being so heavy all these years. Plus I have a fear of doctors and really didn't click with the endo I went to see. She had a heavy Indian accent and I couldn't even understand most of what she told me.  Only recently have I really started to think of my future and my health. I'm about to turn 32 soon and I hope to get the Lap Band this summer. (I'm doing the pre-op testing right now) Weight loss helps with PCOS symptoms ... should I even bother about inquiring about medication at this point?

Candle
on 2/21/07 11:50 am - Long Island, NY
Oops - I didn't mean for the little MAD guy to be next to my thread title - lol
Tray38
on 2/21/07 11:25 pm - Clover, SC

I would say if your symptoms aren't too bad I wouldn't bother with medication. My doctor put me on spironlactone/NuVaRing; I had my tubes tied in 1992, so the birth control is just helping my hormones which were so off.  I was ALWAYS moody, hungry, sleepy, tired and I never slept well.  The worst of it all was the acne I couldn't control it with medications that my dermatology prescribed, it was an awful site.  The spironlactone/NuVaRing has really helped my symptoms.  My doctor told me in order to come off the medicines I need to lose a significant amount of weight which I'm trying really hard to do.  I was turned down for WLS, so I'm going to a weight loss clinic and will try to fight the battle with their help alone with the folk here who have been giving me much encouragement. Good Luck

Tray38
bridgetl
on 2/22/07 12:05 pm - Hewitt, TX
Hi, I had and still have pcos, even though I've had bypass surgery. I can't speak for everyone, but I still have the excessive hair. What's funny is I thought that the glucophage wasn't really helping that much. Since my surgery I was taken off the meds. And guess what my hair growth is worse. I think what has happened is even though my cycles etc have regulated, the hair issue hasn't changed. The glucophage was helping and I didn't know it, until I was off of it. So, even though other symptoms have improved, the hair growth has not. I'm actually thinking about asking my doctor if I can go back on it. Glucophage is supposed to be good, even if you don't have blood sugar issues. Plus, for some people it helps them lose weight. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Kristy T.
on 2/22/07 6:28 pm - Stockton, CA
Before my surgery I had bad PCOS...never had cycles...had to take Provera to induce a cycle...and even then would only spot for like an hour.  So finally after I developed diabetes, high blood pressure & sleep apnea I had surgery.  The surgery's helped with most of my symptoms.  It's allowed me to have a baby (something I always wanted...) & my cycles went from none to 36 days & regular (with ovulation too).  The hair growth is still there...but not getting worse or better & the dark spots of skin on my elbows/neck areas is pretty much gone.  I say fill the Rx for Glucophage, although you're not diabetic...it does help your body utilize the insulin it produces.  Glucophage can be hard on your tummy...so try to take it at night...but ultimately the decision is up to you.  If you opt to not fill it...try taking cinnamon & chromium picolinate as they help with sugar metabolism.  Good luck! Kristy
                     102_1463.jpg image by goddess819                                               102_1481.jpg image by goddess819    
Lilypie - (8NSG)            Lilypie - (HyKO) 
canyon13
on 2/23/07 12:35 am
I have been diagnose with PCOS as well however I do not have hair growth like anyone else.  I get my periods on a normal basis the only problem I have is no matter what I do I cannot lose weight.  I was perscribed glucophage as well and never took it because in my mind why should I take a diabetic pill when I am not diabetic.   I have had a pelvic ultrasound and no cycsts on my ovaries and to honest with you I am not sure how my doctor has come to the conclusion I have this disease. I just found this forum and cannot believe there is one how cool!!
Sherry671
on 2/24/07 12:30 pm - Denver, CO
I think that anyone with PCOS needs to do something to help with hormone regulation which will help with your overall health. I started on Metformin in 2002 while also on birth control. When we decided to have another baby I went off the birth control and got pregnant rigth away. Then after the baby we decided no more kids so I stayed on the Metformin and had an IUD put in. I don't have my periods anymore which is fine but the Metformin is helping me lose weight. Right now that is the only reason taht I am taking Metformin, and it does help with that. I actually went off for a couple of months last year and I started to regain weight very quickly. I started back on a diet and exercise program and started taking the metformin again and things are much better.  Weight loss will definately help with symptoms. I will be having my WLS 3/20 so we'll see how things go after that. I don't think I'll need metformin during the rapid weight loss period but I could see maybe getting back on it a year or more after surgery if weight issues creep up again.  I would get on something for treatment since medication is really the only treatment right now. It will keep you healthier in the long run. Sherry
Michelle_h
on 2/26/07 3:05 am - seattle, WA
Did you find the metformin helped you ovulate? I've just started it. And I'm hopeful... I'm 29, haven't had a period in 10 years unless I'm on the pill, and suddenly I've had that "omg I might never have kids unless I do invitro". It's so relieving to hear people talk about getting pregnant! Michelle
We're having a girl! Naming her Zoë Elizabeth, and EDD is December 5th!
Christal C.
on 2/26/07 7:02 am - Wichita, KS
I have been diagnosed with Insuling Resistent PCOS. I am glad there are other people on here going through weight loss surgery too! I'm not alone, yeah!  I have all of the emotional symtoms of PCOS, I missed 4 periods last year and they have never been regular except on birth control. I have alot of hair issues but I just pluck and shave it out of existence. I am infertile right now but I am not intrested in having another baby...I have a little 2 year old girl that was born 2.5 months prematurely but thank goodness perfectly healthy.  My endocrinologist said I could either take some medicines that would help a little or I could lose the weight and probably be cured within a year. So here I am having the surgery on March 6th 2007. I really hope it helps to balances my hormonal stuff and levels my emotions out a bit more.  Good luck to everyone! ~ Christal/dionysus_star
curiousaboutpcos
on 6/14/09 11:27 am
I read all the posts but I'm still a little confused, given that gastric bypass has been known to help reverse type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance in a lot of patients, does that mean it can really possibly reverse PCOS too? I don't know if I'm misunderstanding. I know that a big problem with many PCOS sufferers is insulin resistance and that starts the snowball effect with the increased testosterone, etc...  I mean, it stands to reason if the surgery can reverse/"cure" type 2 diabetes then it seems like it could "fix" PCOS.  If anyone could clear up my confusion I'd appreciate it. Thanks. :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1070 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3022 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3625 views