PCOS and the Lab Band

canyon13
on 2/23/07 12:43 am
Has anyone here had the Lab Band procedure and If so how was the weight loss with PCOS?  I have this and struggle struggle and struggle to lose weight even if I work out 4 days a week.  I was just curious.
Ca_girl
on 2/23/07 2:05 pm - McKinney, TX

I haven't had surgery yet but I have PCOS and am having Band surgery.  I'm preparing myself for a lot of work after the surgery ... I can tell you that much.   I'm afraid that because of PCOS - I won't be able to lose as fast but I just think it is safer.

Sherry671
on 2/24/07 12:36 pm - Denver, CO

I am having my WLS on March 20th, and I am still considering both RNY and LAP BAND. I haven't been able to find any literature on which is better for PCOS, so I'm going to ask the surgeon when I meet with him before surgery. I have met more PCOS women who have had lap band than RNY for weight loss but that could just be me too. I think it is probably just personal preference since there doesn't seem to be any research or hard evidence. I think that weight loss no matter how is probably what is the most important thing. Good luck!

Sherry

Michelle_h
on 2/26/07 3:01 am - seattle, WA
I have PCOS and the lap band. I was banded in July. I've lost about 45 pounds with the band (55 pounds including pre-op loss).  I've just started taking Metformin, and I'm hoping that helps speed things along a little! Michelle
We're having a girl! Naming her Zoë Elizabeth, and EDD is December 5th!
StacieB
on 2/28/07 3:50 pm - Portland, OR
I'm assuming  you mean the LAP Band... I feel like I should wonder about the after care you're getting. When did you get the band? How many adjustments have you had? How much have you lost? What is your protein and total calorie intake a day? In any case, I have had the Lap Band since June. I've lost 60lbs. I was not adjusted regularly, and am still not at the proper restriction, because of extenuating cir****tances (not medical). So far however, I'm really happy with the band. I'm well into my second adjustment now and I'm finally starting to learn those hard lap band lessons! I'm really working with a lot of doctors to be sure I'm doing what's right for me. I've had to start getting a large amount of protein from shakes which I make at home and call "Mega Protein" smoothies. There is about 42g of protein in one cup. I wasn't getting enough and I had to figure it out because it was slowing my weight loss. I also just started sub-lingual B complex vitamins which are for improving energy levels among other things. I too am at the gym regularly. This has really made me feel A LOT better. The change in just how I feel has been extraordinary! It helps my moods and my energy levels. I just had to find the method of exercising that was right for my body. There were a few months there that I wasn't on it, which put me behind the curve... but I'm definitely loosing now that I'm putting this WLS first in my life. I just figured it's something that needs to be dealt with before I can really deal with anything  else in my life. If there's a choice between a WLS appt and virtually ANYTHING else, short of life or death, I go with the WLS appt./support. Therapy has been really great, a therapist who works with WLS patients will really help keep you in the right direction. I even did something I REALLY hate to do; I journaled all the foods I ate and at what time. I now carry a little booklet around with me for doing this. I don't do some days, but I try to keep up on it as best as I can. It has helped tremendously! I really didn't realize how protein deficient I was until I started writing it all down. There are definitely points where I just get tired of not knowing what I can eat easily that will also fit into the band diet. Sometimes I just want eating to be easy! It's just not to be so for me until I settle into a new lifestyle... much easier said than done! It's pretty major all the things we have to relearn.
Jessica S.
on 3/5/07 10:07 am - Greenhithe, Kent, United Kingdom
I have had lap band and it is a struggle to lose the weight but I dont think it is as hard as I thought it would be..it just means Ive got to do what I am ment to do....like exercise 4 times a week drink my water and eat properly well to be honest..I havent drank much water and eat poorly..which is why I have only lost about 50lbs. I had my surgery june 30th 06 But I am happy about the 50lbs... now i have a personal trainer and eating better now..with better restriction too (make sure youve goot good restriction) anyway I am now loosing about 3-4 lbs a week and I like that..must see how long that lasts..I think you just need to kick start yourself..and get the heartrate going and eating properly..also Im on metformin which I think helps my body to release some of the fat cells..you really should see an endocronologist and see what they can do for you..it may mean putting you on meds that make the weight just melt off.... have a think about it cheers jessa

Philipians 2:14-16
Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.
drsumm30
on 3/20/07 10:31 pm - Fort Worth, TX
I too have pcos, why is it harder to lose weight with it?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1070 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3022 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3625 views