Have PCOS but no clue what to do about it...

Robin F.
on 3/4/07 12:18 pm - Lewistown, PA
Hello everyone, i was diagnosed with PCOS in 2003 as well as type 2 diabetes.  I was told they tend to run hand in hand, whatever that means.  I was never given any treatment for the PCOS, if there is any such treatment.  I have thick but somewhat dry and coarse hair, dry skin, a little facial hair (mustache) and of course all my weight is mainly in my midsection.  I get about 2-3 periods a year, usually if i drop 5 or more pounds. My periods have been horrible over the years.  I've had 3 emergency D&C's to stop my heavy bleeding.  When i was 17, i had my period every day for 9 months...not heavy, but enough to need to wear something.  I went through years of extreme cramping and very long periods to years of no pms and 3 day periods.  I never know what i'm gonna get each time.  I started going grey at 22...and if i wouldnt color treat my hair now, i'd probably be totally grey at 38. My  other  body hair(legs and arms) is blonde  and hardly noticeable thank goodness. Ok, i guess you get the picture about me lol I would love to hear about others on here if you have the time to reply.  Take care everyone :) Robin
313/283/293/220/175 (highest/preop/postop/current/goal)weight loss from highest

SoniaB
on 3/4/07 6:55 pm - Windsor, Canada
I am not sure, but I thought some diabetic meds also help with PCOS.
CeiliKid
on 3/5/07 9:42 pm

Hi there, You sound like me with the extremes between periods. I either don't bleed for months or I bleed heavily for months (currently I've been bleeding since just after Christmas). I've also had 3 D&C's and polypectomies.  I started going gray when I was 12 years old but that just may be due to my dad who went prematurely gray. Initially I was put on Birth Control pills and then Glucophage/Metformin but I'm not currently taking either of those medications due to certain beliefs I hold and the fact that they make me ill, I have a very sensitive stomach (even more so now that I've had gastric bypass).

So I just bleed and grow gobs of hair on my face. I'm hoping that some of the side effects of this condition will slow down here soon.

Even when your hope is gone...move along.
Kristy T.
on 3/8/07 6:20 am - Stockton, CA
Do they have you on any medication for your diabetes?  If not...ask for Glucophage/Metformin...as it helps with not only diabetes but also with women who have PCOS.  Also, BCPs help regulate your cycle until you've lost enough weight to where you cycle on your own.  Since you're pre op you won't have any issues with absorption of the BCPs.  Also www.soulcysters.com is an awesome support website for women with PCOS.  The message board forums are awesome...covering everything you can think of.  Check it out & good luck! Kristy
                     102_1463.jpg image by goddess819                                               102_1481.jpg image by goddess819    
Lilypie - (8NSG)            Lilypie - (HyKO) 
Robin F.
on 3/8/07 2:49 pm - Lewistown, PA
Kristy, Hi, thanks for replying.  Yes i am on glucophage, 500mg a day and glyburide.  I have been on both for some time now, but was on just the glyburide initially.  My doc prescribed 1000mg of the glucophage but said i could cut it back to 500 if it gave me diahrea (spelling) which it did.  What are BCP's? I'm drawing a blank on that one lol Robin
313/283/293/220/175 (highest/preop/postop/current/goal)weight loss from highest

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1070 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3022 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3625 views