Women with PCOS: What surgery did you have? How successful was it?

BijouxBijoux
on 8/27/08 4:12 pm
Hi ladies!

I met today with my surgeon for a consultation for bariatric surgery. She's familiar with PCOS, and how horribly difficult it can be to treat. I had gone in with the expectation of getting the Sleeve Gastrectomy, but she said it might not give me enough success, and that a full Gastro Bypass probably would. She says she's doing research now, so that by the time my testing is done, we'll know statistically which one has greater success with women with PCOS.

So for those of you who have PCOS and have had a bariatric surgery:

~Which kind did you have?

and

~How successful was it?

And if you wouldn't mind explaining the severity of your PCOS prior to surgery and after, I'd appreciate it, but I don't want to pry if no one wants to share. ;)

Thanks!
"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
and never stops at all."

-Emily Dickenson
Kristy T.
on 8/29/08 3:33 am - Stockton, CA
I had RNY surgery 8/3/04 so I'm just past the 4 year mark.  It was very successful in my opinion.

My PCOS was severe in my opinion.  I couldn't loose weight no matter what I did.  I was on Metformin 2000mg for 4 years before my IR became full blown Type II Diabetes.  I was diabetic for a year before surgery.  I also had the AN (acanthosis nigricans), acne, skin tags, no ovulation, no cycles, & because of the weight also had severe sleep apnea & high blood pressure.  I never had a spontaneous cycle.  I'd been given Provera to induce one and after 10 days of provera would be luck if I'd spot for an hour.  Also during the fertility treatments we found that not only did I not respond to Clomid (up to 200mg) but I had little response to Repronex (an injectable).  I'd about given up on being a mom ever.  About the Metformin...it didn't help me loose weight, it didn't bring down my insulin numbers much, and it didn't help me ovulate.  I still had SEVERE IR just prior to becoming diabetic.  Even after I became diabetic I still had 'high' morning numbers in the 120-140s still on 2000mg Met.

Since surgery not only is my diabetes gone but my IR is too.  My last round of blood work showed normal glucose & fasting insulin levels!  I've not taken Met since the day before surgery & my endocrinologist declared my diabetes officially cured 6 months after surgery.  My high blood pressure went away within months.  BUT...for some reason at 2y 3m post op it returned.  However it's very easily controlled now.  On less medication than I was on before I've gone from BPs of 150s/90s to 110/60.  My sleep apnea is gone and so is my AN.  The acne is better and the skin tags are gone.  As for my cycles...well you can tell by my ticker that I'm regular again!  I have normal 28-30 day cycles and I'm ovulating on my own.  After 8 years of failed fertility treatments I've been able to get pregnant twice the 1st month we were ttc.

I also maintain at/near goal when I'm not pregnant.  I started out at 254lb and got down to 140.  Before I got pregnant this time I was right around 140-145.  I tend to gain & loose the same 5lb now.

I'm very VERY happy with my RNY choice.  My only regret is that I didn't really follow the directions given to me by my surgeon on taking extra calcium citrate.  I figured that since I ate a lot of cheese/yogurt that I didn't need to and now my teeth are paying the price.  I've had 2 root canals in 2 years and have some demineralization on 2 of my front teeth.  Although my blood calcium levels have always been good my body was taking it from my bones/teeth to keep the blood levels good.  So now I'm taking the extra calcium citrate that I should have been taking the past 4 years.  I'm hoping to keep my teeth from getting worse.

Good luck in your decision.

Kristy
                     102_1463.jpg image by goddess819                                               102_1481.jpg image by goddess819    
Lilypie - (8NSG)            Lilypie - (HyKO) 
ChristineM
on 8/29/08 7:26 am - Brick, NJ
hi there, my name is Christine and im aobut 18 months or so out of surgery. I had and still have to a certain extent pcos. It was very severe and has improved imensly. I on the other hand have not tried getting pregnant but am on birth control pills to control it. I chose to have RNY and i have lost a total of 124 pounds at this time... and i seem to keep losing at this point. RNY is not a cure all for pcos but it does help... more for some.. and less then others. For me it has worked out wonderfully. Good luck in your journey!
karlij
on 9/1/08 4:29 am - Fort Worth, TX
I had the sleeve gastrectomy and it has been VERY successful in improving my PCOS.  I have regular periods now, my acne is totally gone, and my dark patches have lightened up.  I think either RNY or the sleeve is great for PCOS, but I have to say that I love my sleeve!

Post-op esophageal leak & sepsis survivor! 
Lilypie Maternity tickers

joyouslyme
on 9/3/08 6:52 am
I have the band and have had regular periods since I stopped taking the pill. My surgeon says that the DS is the best for PCOS.

Sharee - Attention Whore IRL

Catnip
on 9/5/08 2:19 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Hi

I had surgery in June and I had the DS.

In three months i have lost 81 pounds and am wearing the same size i wore in high school.

I had no periods, hair issues (hair in all the wrong places and not enough on my head) Insulin resistance, Etc. I feel i had PCOS pretty bad.

I chose the DS because of the malabsorption. I knew that i needed to absorb less calories not just eat less. Pre surgery i could never  lose more then 15 or 20 pounds, even if only eating 1000 calories a day and exercising an hour or 2 each day.

Please research all the surgery types yourself and be ready to discuss them with your doctor. Look at the post op life for each surgery and see which one makes the most sense for you,

Good luck in your journey,

catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Tea
on 9/8/08 1:59 pm - Moore Haven, FL
VSG on 07/11/12
Hi there,

I haven't had my surgery yet, but a coule of Dr.'s told me that the DS has the best results for PCOS, but that all WLS reduce the symptoms.

Tea

HW 311 - (pre opt liq diet 272) - SW 264 - CW 196- GW 150

Lovin my
SLEEVE

Candle
on 9/10/08 7:28 am, edited 9/10/08 7:33 am - Long Island, NY

I have the Lap Band and I've been SUPER successful but it's not for everyone.

I don't think my PCOS is severe. I would miss like 2-3 cycles per year. Some women don't ovulate AT ALL. I was on Metformin for awhile but with the weight loss my periods have been like clock work! (heavier though)

I also recommend looking into the DS.

10cc APS band. 
Placed w/ .5cc's.
Fills: 11/5/07 ... 2cc's & 6/15/10 ... 1.5cc's & 3/25/11 .... 1 cc

H311/S295/G175/  C164

KITTYKAY
on 9/29/08 3:11 pm
I have PCOS and had the RNY on July 30.08. Before my surgery I didnt have a natural peroid. Now since surgery I have had peroid every month! I am so happy...it helped me.
 Kitty Kay

Raise awareness - Multiple Sclerosis

RNY 7-30-08
233/150
kunkelm
on 12/19/08 7:02 pm - boise, ID
I have PCOS and had the RNY in March 2008. Have been doing great with weigh loss and even having regular periods for the 1st time in my adult life. I didnt really hear which surgery was better for pt with PCOS, I just know I have done great post op. Again, even started cycling on my own since. Thank goodness I have an IUD or I would probably be pregnant. Too soon post op for that. Not to mention we ( I think, have two kids) are done. Anyway......
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1058 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3011 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3618 views