confused and need your help

Iman M.
on 9/7/08 1:37 am - Arlington, VA
Hello Fellow PCOS-ers -
I am about a month a week from completing my 6-month supervised diet.  I orginally went to the doctor  to consider the lapband but after meeting her I decided to go for RNY.  NOW, I am really confused becasue I want to do the best surgery for me and my PCOS. 

I am insulin resistant, I have not had a period for almost 2 years.  I had 2-second trimester miscarriages, I have facial hair.  I have always been overweight and I am at 310 lbs at 5'4" and now I have developed high blood pressure.  I am 37 and would love to have children some day.

So - which surgery work best bor us in the long run.  DS, RNY OR VSG.  At this point, i know lapband is not for me.  I have a meeting with the surgen to discuss DS but after reading about the all the diffiencies with Iron, bowel movement, etc, I am reconsidering if this is what's best for me.

Thanks and look forward to hearing your thought!
Iman

Catnip
on 9/7/08 2:08 pm - Ottawa, Canada
HI,

I choose to have the DS.

When you have PCOS you body is a powerhouse for absorbing calories. The malabsorption of the DS will help you reverse your bodies natural tendency.  Ds is the only surgery that provides malabsorption. Doctors are now learning that the RNY provides no malabsorption in the long term because the rerouted part of the intestines is too short.

The thing with DS is that you have to be willing to take vitamins for the rest of your life and i don't mean a multi everyday i mean take like 10 calcium and 10 other vitamins everyday.  Before surgery i struggled to remember to take pills more then once a day but 3 months out i find it easy. Right now i am taking alot of pills but soon i will cut back as i am now able to eat more then before.

There is alot of misinformation about the DS and bowel movements out there. If you have to eat carbs then you are going to have issues. If you are happy to live a life that is reduced carbs (but not carb free) then you won't have as many bowel issues.  With Ds it really is a "garbage in garbage out, good stuff in ,and good stuff out "system.  

Please head over to the DS board and ask some question we love answering them, I would also suggest checking out www.duodenalswitch.com for more information.

Good luck,

catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

deb_m
on 9/8/08 11:01 am - Sanford, NC
All I can answer to is RNY.  I haven't had any complications and lost over 100 pounds in 8 months.  I feel great, and can eat most things without problems.  As I've said in some other posts, my DH & I tried to get pregnant for over 10 years, and after losing the weight, I started ovulating (almost immediately) and was able to get pregnant when we first started trying. 

I do still have some facial hair, but I think it's better than it used to be.

The bottom line - you need to do the surgery that works for you.  But RNY worked for me and my PCOS!  :)  Good luck to you!
Deb
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker 

Kristy T.
on 9/9/08 3:30 am - Stockton, CA
I too can speak only for the RNY.  I never had a period...even with Provera I had little response.  I would spot for an hour and be done.  I also had severe IR & diabetes as well as acanthosis nigricans, acne, hypertension & severe sleep apnea. 

I stopped my diabetes medications the day before RNY and have not needed to go back.  My fasting glucose & insulin are normal as is my A1C.  My AN, acne, and sleep apnea are all gone.  My hypertension did go away but for some reason at 2y3m post op it came back.  The facial hair I have is still there and although it didn't go away it did stop getting worse.  The only thing that will make to away permanently would be laser removal.

For me the RNY worked.  In 6 months I'd lost 100lb and was at goal at 1 year post op with a loss of 114lb.  The weight loss also corrected my hormone imbalance and after 8+ years of failed fertility treatments we were able to get pregnant the 1st month ttc at 16m post op.  I had a healthy pregnancy & baby girl.  Now we're happily expecting our 2nd miracle and this baby girl is due just before Christmas.

Ideally the choice for which surgery to have is up to you.  I'm very happy with my RNY choice.  Good luck deciding!
                     102_1463.jpg image by goddess819                                               102_1481.jpg image by goddess819    
Lilypie - (8NSG)            Lilypie - (HyKO) 
Iman M.
on 9/10/08 2:06 am - Arlington, VA
Hi - thanks everyone for your respones...lots to think about!!
Nicole T.
on 9/12/08 4:03 am
I had RNY seven month ago today. despite my bad eating habits, I've still lost 81 lbs so far and i get my periods w/out medication. i can't speak for the ds but it is a more aggressive procedure and only people who can truly be compliant w/ the vitamins will be healthy in my opinion. ds wasn't an option for me since i don't think my insurance covered it and I wanted something that would keep me from overeating. the ds doesn't give you as small a stomach. vsg i've heard has good results as well but i know the rny worked for me.
isenephthys
on 9/19/08 7:11 am - CA
i chose the rny.  it is the more time-tested of the two procedures.  it is more often covered by insurance.  i was also very concerned about the high risk of deficiencies with the ds.

ultimately, it is your decision.  there is a lot of good information out there.  consult with a few different doctors and take your time making the choice that is best for you.
SherylR
on 9/20/08 6:50 pm - Richlands, NC
Irman,

I'm sorry this is so late, I just don't come on this board very often...  Anyway, I also have PCOS (diagnosed over 30 years ago) and I had RNY 6 years ago.  I have had wonderful success, lost 217 lbs and my PCOS has actually gotten a bit better.  I LOVE my RNY...  I haven't had any problems with malabsortion, in fact my labs come back wonderful every time.  I do take 2 multi vitamins, calcium, iron and medication for allergies but that's it.  No more Diabeties, high blood pressure, high choloestrol, acid refulx, heart problems, or joint pain..  I know I'm forgetting something - ugh!  Anyway, I'm having laser/electrolosys for the facial hair (looking great!), but I'm feeling wonderful and haven't been this healthy as long as I can remember...  I would talk with your doc about your concerns...  I'm sure he'll have the most up to date information. 

Best of luck to you!!!

Sheryl
08/22/2002 (WLS date)
425/177/238/160 (high/low/current/goal)

"Don't count the moments but make the moments count!!"
tamerajirbi
on 11/11/08 3:05 pm
Hi Iman,

I am Tamera from Houston.  I also have PCOS which causes me to be insulin resistant..  I am now 40 but was diagnosed at about 26.  I as well had odd periods and hair growth and have always been over weight  I started taking Glucopghape several years ago which helps with the suger cravings and should help regulate your periods some what.  But after my 5th miscarriage, The docs finally decided that something else must be wrong with me.. Thay tested me for everything from Lupus to you name it.  They finally figuered out I have a blood clotting disorder that is hereditary called Factor V (5) Leiden Mutant.  So that means I have a mutated jean, the # 5.  So my blood is too thick and whenever i wold get preg, my body thinks the fetus is a forgein object and attacks it.  I was also low on Progestrone but can't take horomones because I will and already did clot form taking them for just 1 day.  Anyhow, I did have 1 son at 32 and he was perfect, no problems....Thank God..BUt continued to lose pregnancies after that.  I decided in 2002 to have a surgery called Vertical gastric banding as they where just starting to gastric bypass, so bascially I have staples.  I went from 340 to 157 in 1 1/2 years.  I have kept it off until now as the medical docs have found it only has a lifespan of 5-6 yrs in most cases but they just didn't know that at that time. So I am trying to get a revision of the bypasss or maybe the sleeve.  but my insurance refused even after appeals so I cancelled my insurance adn am just lloking for the best dr for the best price.  So I am desperate to hear of anybody that can help me...But This surgery is great and hopefully you will have kids....I think the RNY is the best .....If I can do it so can you! Tamera Houston, TExas
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1049 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2997 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3609 views