Realistic Expectations

Mea A.
on 12/21/04 1:09 pm - Western, MA
Hi everyone - I have PCOS and had WLS on 7/12/04. The good news is I'm down 91.5 lbs, off all meds and starting to have regular periods . My OBGYN said something very discouraging to me today. I was in for my yearly exam and PCOS follow up. I now weigh about 240 lbs. My OBGYN said that I will probably lose about 20 more pounds, then my body will "level off" at 220 lbs! . YES, I am better off than where I started and NO, I did not expect to become a supermodel, but neither did I expect to stop at 220 lbs . Please tell me your weight loss experiences after surgery, PCOS ladies. Did your body stop losing when you were still very heavy? Thanks a bunch . Mea
Dinka Doo
on 12/21/04 5:13 pm - Medford, OR
Mea - there are plenty here who have lost more weight than that. I was 25 lbs less than you and had surgery in March. Right now I am at 219 and still losing, albiet slowly. Ultimately it is up to us once the honeymoon phase is over. I know if I did nothing further to help lose weight it would level off, but if we continue to watch what we eat and exercise, we can lose pretty much all we want to. It just takes a little determination. I have it and will get there. The charts say I will get to 196 but I know I will at least get to 160 or 165. My goal is 150. Might take awhile but it will happen!!! It will for you too!!! Dina
Kristy T.
on 12/29/04 8:32 am - Stockton, CA
I reeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy doubt that you are going to stop at 220. Granted, your weight loss may begin to slow down...but I bet you will get well below 200 lbs. Granted I didn't start off weighing as much as you did...but my PCOS doesn't really seem to affect my weight loss. I'm almost 5 months out and have lost 86 lbs. I'm down from 248 to 162...and although I'm starting to slow down...it's still coming off. Don't give up. Your OB/GYN is NOT your bariatric surgeon. Keep up the good work and don't fret. Kristy 248/162/140 PCOS
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1044 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 2991 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3601 views