17 months out and just moved to Morocco

Ohreally46
on 5/14/09 3:40 am - CO

Hello!!

I am normally a lurker but needed some advice :-) I just moved to morocco and in a few months Dh and I are going to start trying and I wanted to know if anyone out there has every given birth over seas after having RNY???  Or if anyone can give me any input on what I need to tell the doctors here to make sure I have a health pregnancy :-) 

Thanks in advance!!!

Eleni

Hollywog
on 5/14/09 12:11 pm
I live in Indonesia - I've been here for 2 1/2 years and will be leaving this year but don't know when/where I'm going next yet.  I've been overseas for 9 years...and actually had my WLS in Belgium.

I have not given birth overseas due to three mc's...but from what I've read from many of the women here...just tell your dr about your surgery (you may have to teach him about it...about the malabsorption, etc)...and make sure he does blood work every few months to make sure you're not deficient on anything.  The vast majority of women here seem to have 'normal' pregnancies the same as non-WLS patients, so you should be fine.

Holly
 January 2008, 
               July 2008
               December 2008  
               July 2009
               September 2010
               July 2011

Mom to Khaled

SassySamara
on 5/14/09 12:57 pm - San Antonio, TX
Lucky! What part. I go to Morocco at least every other year but wi**** could be every year. My Mom is Moroccan and my husband is 100%. I love it and miss family there a lot.  What part of Morocco are you in? They actually have advanced really well in medical care although to the best of my knowledge not so much in they RNY field. Essentially your pregnancy can be pretty normal and the treatment and care is the same. They RNY in itself does not make you high risk. You will want to make sure to continue taking vitamins and having that monitored. My sister in law is pregnant in Morocco right now and she is getting great care. Private clinics tend to be better. However, the care is not necessarily as frequent in terms of what we do here. Sometimes you may only see the dr about 3 times the whole pregnancy. All depends. I would be glad to help ro answer any questions you have.

Lilypie - (8swr) Lilypie - (XAvt)

Ohreally46
on 5/15/09 12:41 am - CO
My husband is 100% moroccan too!! I am 100% greek :-) .. We live in casa in Californie :-) I love love love it here!!  Im not worried about the care as Dh's family has a great net of doctors I was more worried about the lack of knowledge that they have in the wls department.  I really don't want to have to explain to the doctor what wls is in my broken moroccan loooool .. I just want to make sure that I am doing all that I can do to make sure I have a happy health pregnancy :-)  What part are you and your dh from??  Do you guys have any plans on moving here??
SassySamara
on 5/15/09 2:14 pm - San Antonio, TX
Nice mix....
My husband's family is from Rabat mainly and my Mom's Kenitra. Her family is very small and I am very close to my husbands family and sisters. Insha-Allah we will be able to live in Morocco at some point or at least split equal time. I want Emad, my son, to be exposed to the Moroccan culture, education, etc and will likely spend some time there with him for sure in the summers and what not to ensure that can happen. He is being raised multi lingual as we both were but being exposed to it helps. I am glad that there are good doctors accessible to you. Casa does have some great clinics. I will be honest and think that there will be a lack of knowledge with respect to WLS. My husband's family was aghast at how *little* I ate and kept forcing me to drink tea and eat bread which at the time being only about 2 yrs post op was not so good...going on now 6 years post op it is much better. I did go to the doctor once because I got ill and they asked lots of questions and honestly I felt like I was doing more of the talking but at least they did ask and wanted to know so they could help me. Maybe you can inquire around with some of the local doctors at the clinics to see if anyone has experience. WLS is not an up and coming thing in Morocco yet...lol...

Lilypie - (8swr) Lilypie - (XAvt)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views