Can't stop the itching! (TMI)

biggeekgirl
on 5/26/09 9:07 am

So I'm on Augmentin (antibiotic) for the dog bite last week.... I am 5 days into the 7 days.

And I am developing a horrible itch "down there".  It's bad....I am fidgeting and squirming all day. 
I am guessing this is a yeast infection brought on by the antibiotic?  I have never had a yeast infection before.... and I do not have any "discharge" that seem to be a symptom if I google yeast infections. 

What can I do to stop the itching !??!?!  I look up Monistat and their website says not to take while pregnant.....  I have an OB appointment on Thursday but don't know if I can wait that long!!!

At  this point I'll try anything..... I am taking 2 probiotics a day and going to stop my antibiotics early (I know, bad Cindy!). 

The antibiotics are also causing constant diahhrea where totally undigested food is coming out.  (Sorry - TMI). 

Ideas on making the itching stop w/o hurting the baby!?

Thank you!

Cindy

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

suzytil
on 5/26/09 9:11 am - Livonia, MI
I just got over my first yeast infection.   It started out dry and itchy and I soon got the yucky d/c!  
I called my doctor and she said I could use Monistat , just not to insert too high.     I would call your doctor tomorrow and see what they say.  
I also increased my yogurt x2 a day!  
It was horrible though.  I itched like crazy!
I know what you're going through.  It sucks.
 Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BethD
on 5/26/09 9:26 am - Winder, GA
My OB hands out a list of things you can take for things like yeast infections and mine says Monistat!
Beth

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
SophiesMommy
on 5/26/09 9:44 am - Logan, UT
You really might want to not stop the antibiotics.  You have to be almost done, right?  Most things say don't take while pregnant only because the manufacturer doesn't want to be held liable for any pregnancy issues you might have.  That way, they leave it in your OB's hands to recommend something.  Usually in my understanding Monistat is fine.  Sorry, I know it totally bites.  Hang in there!

Shari M.
on 5/26/09 9:54 am - Wildomar, CA
I was told that monistat is fine, but not the one or 3 day dose, just the 7 day formula. I had a problem taking it as it made me burn like wild fire, so my doctor told me to take gyne lotrimin... I used the generic... Clotrimazole. I had tons of yeast infections with my pg and this always knocked it out right away. Also, don't stop the antibiotics. There could be worse repercussions from quitting it early, especially with a dog bite. It sucks, but a couple of days and your symptoms will be better. Also, it is important to stay dry down there, so use a panty liner or pad to keep the moisture away from your body. Shari
Photobucket Photobucket  Micah 18 months, Emma 3

ECUMindy
on 5/26/09 10:28 am - Winterville, NC
I had what I *thought* was a yeast infection about 2 weeks ago. I called the OB and she called in a prescription of a pill (took 2 of them over a 3 day period) and a cream I used a couple of times. It seemed to cure it. One day was just like you describe and then got better. I still feel itchy here and there (wondering if it is certain underwear I am wearing on that particular day), but overall it is much better.

i say CALL the OB--never can hurt.

Melinda
373/334/184/188/175/ - Highest/Surgery/Lowest-PrePregnancy/Current/First Goal

It's a BOY!

Jennifer Q.
on 5/26/09 10:43 am - Newton, NJ
Ok,the holistic cure...vinegar.  Take 4 cups of white vinegar and put it in a shallow bath of water and sit in it for at least 10 minutes 2 times a day...It is a little weird, but it works.  The vinegar raises the Ph in the vagina and makes it unfavorable for the yeast to live.  It is totally safe as long as you do not douche or anything.  Good luck.  Yeast infections are annoying!!

SW 241.6/ CW 138.8/ GW 140
    At Goal 12/11/2009          
(deactivated member)
on 5/26/09 11:05 am - San Antonio, TX
I agree on the vinegar, and I also have success with using a probiotic bill (lactobacillus) as a vaginal insert. Usually twice a day for two or three days fixes it for me. For vinegar I mix 50/50 with water and soak a tampon (inside plastic applicator) and then insert it.

Of course I have NO IDEA if either of these is allowable during pregnancy, but I don't see why they wouldn't be.
SHANNYN B.
on 5/26/09 11:19 am
I use Monistat regularly!! Crazy I know but if I look at an antibiotic I sure get the yeast!!!
Damayin 12-3-93
Jarrid 10-12-98
Hayvann 11-22-09
Kerstyn 4-2-11
Kinzy 4-2-11

PaulaRP
on 5/26/09 12:03 pm - North of Boston, MA
Hi Cindy--

Oh you poor thing!

I too was bitten by a dog, put on Augmentin and subsequently got my first-ever yeast infection last month. Like you, I got the infection despite eating yogurt and kefir multiple times a day! I didn't have any of the classic yeast infection symptoms: no discharge or foul smell. Instead, my entire vaginal and rectal area were red and felt bruised/cracked. I was miserable and based on your email, you sound pretty unhappy too! The doc saw me within 20 minutes of my call to the office...before I could even get my second foot in the stirrups he said "Oh yeah, that's a yeast infection alright." My doctor put me on the generic yeast infection cream and it took about 9 or 10 days of using that before it went away. He also told me to take baths to soak infected area. After a few days, when things weren't as raw, I began adding Aveeno Oatmeal Bath and it seemed to help.

My advice: Call your OB, ASAP and get checked out...you'll feel a lot better.

--Paula

Pregnancy Ticker
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1234 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 859 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1321 views