Chapped lips and baby pimples?

Shauna S.
on 8/31/09 2:21 am - Amsterdam, NY

My lil Drew is 3 weeks old today (I can hardly believe how fast time flies!)

Anyways, the other day I noticed that his upper lip was really chapped. It's almost a clearish color and hard. Is this from bottle feeding? Or is it something I should contact the pediatrican about? i've touched it and tried to soften it with a washcloth - he lets me, so I don't think it hurts him or anything.

Also - he woke up the other day with baby pimples. My poor little guy has had such bad luck with his skin so far. First the birth rash and now this. Is there a way to get rid of the baby pimples or is it something I have to let take its course?

Thanks in advance!

CW
on 8/31/09 2:29 am - Western, CO
Zach had alot of skin issues at first too, but they have all gone away except the cradle cap now.  The baby pimples just go away on their own.  I think it took a few weeks and now they are all gone. 
Don't know about the chapped lips.  Every now and then Zach gets a kind of white hard layer on his lips, kind of like it will peel but it goes away too. 
Chrissy

Lilypie - (D7uA)
mini goal, pre pregnancy weight!

Shauna S.
on 8/31/09 2:44 am - Amsterdam, NY
Thanks Chrissy for giving me some hope. Hopefully he'll get all his skin issues out now instead of during his pre-teen/teenage years like Mommy did. Haha!

floflo1981
on 8/31/09 3:05 am - Huntsville, AL
No advice...just wanted to say Hello! I can't believe he is already 3 weeks!!! Hope everything is going well!!

~Flora

Lilypie - (zx1x)

Pre-op 284/Current 180/Goal 145  5'5
Surgery Date:April 23, 2007

pirate_mommy
on 8/31/09 3:08 am
Good morning! The pimples are totally normail as long as they aren't prolific. And, for the chapped lipsm do you have any Aquaphor? That will help keep them moist so they can heal and not crack. And, don't be afraid tp take him in to the doctor ... I think some weeks I'm there twice! :)
amyc
on 8/31/09 8:26 am - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
Shauna,
I used cetaphil for Hannah's baby acne.  I used the cleanser and the lotion in sensitve 2x a day.  Her acne cleared up in two or three days.    I found something at Babies R US for chapped lips.  It's by the same company that makes the diaper cream called butt paste.   Before I found that I used just a tad of vaseline on her chapped lips.
I can't believe he is 3 weeks old.  We need to see some new pictures!
Amy

Dev *.
on 8/31/09 9:50 am - Austin, TX
 The spot on the upper lip is a nursing callous, Rowan had one as well. They get it from their top lip being slightly tucked under when they nurse. You can try to pull the lip out when he latches on that way (Rowan didn't tolerate me messing with him). it doesn't hurt and it may peel off eventually. When he starts latching on better it goes away. 

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=9586

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

AnnS
on 8/31/09 12:21 pm - Smyrna, GA
3 weeks.....NO WAY!!!! We do need some new pics :)

I agree with all of the other posters....I recently started using Mustela Hydra Stick for Nathan's skin...little acne, bumps and chapped lips....he loves the feeling when I put it on him and his face looks a million times better!!!!

preview image

MaYpRiL1982
on 8/31/09 12:42 pm - Springfield, TN
Nick had chapped lips too... I assumed he had chapped lips b/c he was born during the winter months. My ped suggested just a bit of vaseline and it did help.

As for the pimples, I never did anything for Nick's....he had just really small pinpoint sized ones and they didn't cover a lot of area so the doc told me just to allow air to the areas and it would run its course. Baby's skin is so sensitive. He'll grow up and have great skin since he is having issues now as an infant :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views