Pregnant with LapBand: Any Advice?

sonajasin
on 5/20/11 12:33 am - San Antonio, TX
Hey everyone,
I got my lapband in on October 11 last year. I just found out that i am 5wks pregnant. I was having some difficutlies with my BC insert and had to have it removed and BOW. Here we go with baby number 2. WE are totally happy about it I am just concerned with the nutrition aspect. Any tips for that? 

Thanks, Sondra
Sondra - Beginning Weight 402.8/OP weight 391 

Christmas Goal 350

hockeybabe2u
on 5/20/11 2:36 am - Allegan, MI
I myself don't have experience with the lapband or getting pregnant that early out from surgery.  I know other girls would tell you to make sure you get carbs in to avoid ketios (spelling is wrong).  Make sure you are taking your vitamins as well and contact your surgeon and see what they suggest!  Congrats on the pregnancy and best of luck to you!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

TraceyC
on 5/20/11 4:30 am - DFW, TX
As long as you are getting in enough calories and stay out of ketosis you should be fine. I am 6yrs out and just had a heallthy baby boy in January. My band was super tight when I got pregnant and I was still able to eat what I needed to. I did have to eat healthy snacks between meals, but it was doable. At any time I knew I could get deflated too, so no problems there.

Make sure you're taking your prenatals to get all your vitamins in- esp folic acid. Other than the vitamin and eating more often I didn't have to do anything else.

Good luck!

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. Walt Disney 
http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10728;28/st/20110112/n/Blake/dt/-1/k/3fb3/s-age.png">>

Dev *.
on 5/20/11 11:36 am - Austin, TX
 Don't let your surgeon force you into an unfill.
As long as you are eating OK, it is fine if you don't even gain weight during a pregnancy, or keep your weight gain pretty low, especially if your weight is still a little high. Some of us have found that a slight unfill during the morning sickness phase helps. Also be very aware that it isn't very good for us to vomit, so if your nausea starts being a real problem, don't hesitate to ask your doctor for medicine to help control it!
Most of us also experience some "pulling" feelings or occasional pain in the port area, this is normal and is due to all the stretching of your abdominal wall. 
Nutrition-wise it shouldn't be a lot different that your first pregnancy, just try to eat health and not give in to your cravings TOO often! 

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

sonajasin
on 5/20/11 10:53 pm - San Antonio, TX
Thanks everyone. I actually just had a slight unfill 2weeks before I found out I was pregnant because it was so tight I was vomiting and sliming everyday 1-3 times. UGH, so I know feel a little too loose but I think I am going to leave it because my new surgeon's office does fills under the xray.

I had my surgery in Oct at 399lbs and I am now at 299lbs. I really do not want to gain weight at all if possible. Even loose if it wouldn't hurt the baby. I had one dr say that an obese patient can loose weight in a safe manner while pregnant. But who knows. LOL, I go see my OB again on the 6th to get an ultrasound. I will ask her what her opinion is and schedule an appointment with my nutritionist. I wast to be safe for me and baby.

Christmas Goal 350

TraceyC
on 5/23/11 1:56 am - DFW, TX
If you need an unfill they can do one without the use of the flouroscopy machine. Make sure you tell your dr. that you are pregnant so there won't be any confusion.

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. Walt Disney 
http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10728;28/st/20110112/n/Blake/dt/-1/k/3fb3/s-age.png">>

lesliejayne
on 5/22/11 9:26 am - Noxapater, MS
For the most part, I echo what everyone else has said.  I'm a LapBand patient and was also at 300 lbs roughly when I got pregnant.  I'm 38 weeks and 3 days now, and have lost 9 lbs.  I would gain 1, then lose some, then gain, stay the same, etc.  I didn't have an unfill at all, although I probably really needed one.  The past 10 weeks I have had a really hard time eating; somedays only getting in a sno cone or ice cream....very thin liquids.  For the most part though, I've had a very uncomplicated pregnancy.  When I can eat, I do the best to choose the most nutritious foods possible, since I know there are those days that what I can eat is not exactly good!!!  Be sure to stay up on your vitamins.  You will do fine!
Leslie

whithark
on 6/1/11 11:49 pm - Bristol, RI
I got my band in August 2010. I found out I was pregnant in the beginning of January, I am now 25 weeks pregnant with twins! So it was quick for me as well. My surgeon's office did a complete unfill when I told them it was twins. I wish they hadn't, because I am gaining steadily. My doctor said she'd be ok if I only gained 10-15 lbs, but I've already gained 30 so far. I'm really hoping to stay below my pre-surgery weight during my pregnancy but that's looking less and less likely.
But like PP's said, make sure you get in your vitamins and enough carbs to stay out of ketosis. I check mine occasionally to be sure. I've had no discomfort from the port or anything yet so I'm hoping it stays that way.
Congrats and good luck!
Jaime 

sonajasin
on 6/8/11 4:55 am - San Antonio, TX
Thanks everyone for your advice. I am so excited about this precious little one and hope to hold strong with my weight loss without harming the baby.

My next question is: Have any of you had a C-Section with the band in?
My first born was a CS and I am having trouble finding a Dr who will let me try for a VBac.

Christmas Goal 350

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views