Vitamins and Prenatal Vitamins

Urioste06
on 6/6/11 1:07 pm - Baton Rouge
    Hey everyone- so I am eight weeks pregnant for the first time and I am also two years out from my gastric bypass surgery. 
     My question is about vitmains. I am taking my regular gastric bypass vitamins, including the multi-vitamin, iron, calcium, and b-12. I asked my OB if I should also take the prenatal vitamins....he stated no- to just take my regular mult-vitamin as long as I was getting the same amount of folic acid, etc. but he was hestitant and seemed slightly unsure. Then I read online later that it's unhealthy to have too much of certain vitamins- but would that affect us?
     I am going to contact my WLS center and talk to one of nurses about it as well but wanted to see if any of you have any advice or went through your pregnancy with taking one set of vitamins or the other or both.....Thanks! Michelle
doda94
on 6/6/11 1:15 pm - Canada
 I started taking NatureMade Liquid Pre-Natals before I got pg and I'm going to continue.  I double the dose and take 2 every day.  One first thing in the morning and one in the afternoon.  I find that the liquid seems to work very well for me and I think I'm absorbing quite a bit of it since my bw always comes back pretty good.
tnliving
on 6/6/11 1:22 pm
Hi! And congrats! Every doc is different but my had me stay on the chewable flinstones but just uped it to 3 a day. I also take coromega and a b12 everyday. My doc was afraid if I switched to the prenatal then I would start getting sick. Hope you have a great journey!
hockeybabe2u
on 6/6/11 11:51 pm - Allegan, MI
With my last pregnancy, I just continued the same vitamin schedule I was on.  I wasn't very smart during that pregnancy and didn't have my blood drawn at least 3 times to check my levels....although I felt good through out my pregnancy and had a pretty easy birth and healthy baby.  This time around, I had my vitamin levels checked and plan to have them checked 2 more times.  By doing this, you can see what you are lacking or what might be to high.  At the time of my last blood draw, I was taking 1 complete multi-vitamin, calcium, sublingal b-12, D3, folic acid and iron.  For some reason I don't have a problem with my iron levels and was told to cut back on my iron to every other day.....other than that, all my levels looked good!  I had my midwife prescribe prenatal vitamins for me, but my bartrix surgeon said I didn't need to add them.  I can't stress enough how important it is to have your labs drawn and then go from there!  Each person is different and some require alot more of something then another person!  Good luck!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

USAF Wife
on 6/8/11 1:13 am
Even though I had VSG, I have been allowed to stay on my Celebrate Chewable regimen through the pregnancy. I take the multi with iron, the Calcium citrate (this one I have slacked on), and a sublingual b12 (from Nature Valley).

I have labs pulled every trimester to check my levels even though I was not lacking in any area pre-pregnancy or in the first trimester. I simply demand lab work so they pull my levels.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1255 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 866 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1333 views