Question about bottles...

Jenn1973
on 7/16/11 10:46 am - Ottawa, Canada

I am a bit confused about the sterilization of baby bottles.  I plan on bottle feeding my little guy and a friend of mine gave me a ton of different bottles to try out with him.  Her little girl has special tummy needs and they went through every bottle in the world before finding the just-right match..

Anyway, I know I have to sterilize them before using them, but once I do, can I just put them in the cupboard and await the day that they will be used?  Or do I sterilize just before use. 

So confused about the basics...

Thanks
Jenn

Baby Boy Julian Frederick
Born August 11, 2011

harleymama31
on 7/16/11 11:31 am
wash em and put em away. use dawn with bleach orf throw em in dishwasher. instant steriliazation
kalamtykel
on 7/16/11 11:32 am
Hi Jenn, and congratulations by the way!

I would think if you sterilized them now and placed then in a sealed ziploc it would be okay to use when baby comes home.  I could be wrong though, because technically removing them from the boiling water could de-sterilize them if theyre removed with a non-sterile item (tongs, a spoon, etc..).  But would think you'd be okay placing them in bags until youre ready.

Jeez, did i just ,make things more confusing?  Sorry, i have a back ground in nursing, i get kinda technical sometimes.

Kelly
Paula622
on 7/16/11 2:42 pm
Just toss them in the dishwasher and call it a day!  I breastfed and let me tell you, bottles from the cupboard have to be more sterile than the boobs of a mom who hasn't had time to shower in 3 days, lol!  I think we worry too much about these things :)  Good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

harleymama31
on 7/17/11 3:03 am
Paula~lol

If your worried about sterilization etc, use the playtex drop ins that way you will know that it is "clean" when you make a bottle etc..Make sure you have some LATEX nipples for them too. Babies dont like the silicone ones to much. they will prefer the latex til they are older. Dont worry about the BPA or Latex allergies. The latex nipples collapse like mamas tatas do when they drink and are more "flexible" than the silicone.
reianondillard
on 7/18/11 6:21 am
With my Nephew we use the dish washer and they are sterilize. Just make sure the bottles are BPA free if they are newer they will be.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1260 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 869 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1337 views