Gestational Diabetes test and RNY?

sionnaingeal
on 7/26/11 3:24 am - Coventry, RI
Hey all,

Curious about anyone having to take the Gestational Diabetes test after having RNY? I had my surgery 5 years ago this month (WOW) and am 25 weeks preggers. I'm pretty sure that this is about the time for the Gestational Diabetes tests, but I know that sugary crap they make you drink will make me dump, nevermind that it seems unlikely that I'd pass. I plan to remind my OB of this fact if she reccomends the test, but I was curious of anyone else's experiences.

Thanks

I am now a HOME OWNER!   Check out my House Blog!

Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader

36 lbs from goal!

RESCUEGIRL78
on 7/26/11 4:01 am - NC
One of my friends had to eat like 20 jellybeans for her glucose test and they didn't bother her quite as bad. I hope I can do the same thing instead of drinking the nasty drink!!!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Brooklynnsmom
on 7/26/11 4:19 am, edited 7/26/11 4:20 am - Bellevue, NE
I have had 2 babies post-op (they are 4 and 2). I basically told my dr. I couldn't handle the sugars and she had me test my sugars for 4 days straight. I would test in the morning when I got up, and 2 hours after each meal.

With my son (who is 2), I was with a different dr then, he had me just come in and do a fasting blood work up.

I found when I was pregnant, I couldn't handle anything more than about 15 grams of sugar or I would be sick.

Just remember, no one can make you take a test--and I don't think it is accurate anyways!

Debbie
pirate_mommy
on 7/26/11 6:28 am
Hey there,
You can totally decline the test as a PP mentioned. It really isn't accurate for us. With both my girls I did fasting blood work throughout and those are far more accurate for us. :-)

USAF Wife
on 7/26/11 7:30 am
Even though I have a sleeve, I pretty much refused to do the glucose standard testing. I'm doing at home testing, 4 times a day, for 2 weeks. I told my ob that I rarely consume 75gr of sugar on a daily basis so there is no way that test would be accurate, and due to transit time with an altered stomach, there is a possibility that my numbers would be off.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Chena83
on 7/27/11 12:31 am - Clarksville, IN
This is areally good question. I havn't had mine yet. My high risk dr told me that I may pass out. I am going to talk to them about the other altern that are brought up here.
Lilypie Maternity tickers

hockeybabe2u
on 7/27/11 12:47 am - Allegan, MI
With my last pregnancy I fasted overnight, went in the next morning, had my blood drawn and then went back 2 hours later and had them redraw it again.  I plan to do the same thing with this one probably sometime this week.  I wouldn't take the drink and i would perfer not to test at home.....this seemed like the best option for me!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

sionnaingeal
on 7/27/11 2:47 am - Coventry, RI
Thanks, everyone, for the very helpful info. And especially for the reminder that no one can 'make' you take the test. This is true and I have opted out for a few tests already. I'm fairly sure I'm not at risk for GD, but all the same, I want to make sure I also look out for the best interests of my wee one. I think I'll see what the doc reccomends first. She's been very good otherwise, and has taken my surguery into account before for other instances.

Thanks again, everyon!

I am now a HOME OWNER!   Check out my House Blog!

Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader

36 lbs from goal!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views