Wanting to try for another baby

mjchristy
on 8/4/11 11:41 am - IN
Hi everyone,  I had VSG on Oct. 13, 2010!  We currently have three children and felt we were done so decided to have surgery thinking that we would not have another child.  However, we would like another one now.  Our lives change!  I went to my doctor (OB) today and she gave me the go ahead.  She would like me to wait one year but as of now I could be pregnant.  I have lost 104 lbs and have 45 lbs to go but I am also pushing the age thing also.  I hope that I am making the right decision but I cannot wait forever.  I guess I just need to know that I can carry this baby and give it the nutrients that it needs.  My weight has stablized and I honestly have been up and down since April in pounds.  I need to know that other people have done it and I am not hurting my baby!  Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks,
Melissa
  SW:  302  Surgery W:  275  VSG:  October 13, 2010          
USAF Wife
on 8/4/11 11:26 pm
I'm 27.5 weeks pregnancy, and 26 months out from VSG. I have zero issues with the pregnancy that are related to VSG. I was released early because of my age, my husband's possible looming deployment, and I was below goal with stellar labs. I was 8 months out when I was told it was okay to TTC.

We tried for over a year. Charting, temping, endured 2 chemical pregnancies, yada yada. My pregnancy has not been complicated by VSG. I have zero issue eating enough to support my body and the baby. My labs have remained stellar, and I am still taking my same vitamin regimen that I took in maintenance which are Celebrate chewables multi complete, and my sublingual b12, Celebrate citrate plus.

They gave me calorie, protein, carb goals, and only sometimes do I not hit my calorie goals. I started at 130lbs and have gained a solid 18-20lbs. All of my docs are elated with my progress in the pregnancy including my surgeon.

Tatum is growing, developing on target, measuring perfectly, and I have had zero issues in the pregnancy. I am high risk for other health issues that are not related to my VSG, but they are well-managed. I have had a textbook pregnancy, no morning sickness, I have round ligament pain, and hip pain from the weight redistribution back to my stomach. I'm not going to lie and say that it's all been rosey. It hasn't, but medically, myself nor Tatum are suffering. The main issue has been the emotional ups and downs with weight gain. And, I know everyone will tell you that it's normal, expected, you'll lose it, but weight regain is inevitable. I honestly thought I was prepared for it. There is no amount of hearing "oh it's just baby weight, or you'll lose it or just be grateful you're pregnant" will make those fears of getting fat again go away. I was in maintenance for a year before the pregnancy weight started creeping in. So, all of sudden growing out of my clothes, and actually feeling that extra weight has been difficult. 

Best wishes!
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Paula622
on 8/5/11 12:04 am
At six months out from surgery, my labs were great, my weight loss had stabilized (I was about 6 lbs from a normal BMI), and I was able to eat plenty throughout the day from a wide variety of foods (there was nothing I could not tolerate).  So, my husband and I decided to stop using birth control and let nature do its thing, about a minute later I was pregnant, lol.  Neither my surgeon nor my OB have any sleeve related concerns with my pregnancy.  I've gained about 10 lbs so far (I'm 26 weeks pregnant) which is right on target with where I should be based on my starting weight etc.  I've had a very easy and uncomplicated pregnancy.  The baby is measuring fine and everything looks great.  I still take my pre-pregnancy vitamin routine of two generic flintstones and a calcium/ vitamin D (not at the same time). 

I wish you the best of luck!  With the sleeve, a safe pregnancy can definitely be achieved prior to one year since we don't have malabsorbtion issues to worry about.  The biggest hurdles are your labs, ability to eat carbs, and weight stabilization.  Good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1257 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 867 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1334 views