Glucose Tolerance Test

jac2010
on 8/10/11 1:29 am
Hi Ladies,

I haven't posted for a really long time!  I had to come to the experts for help though!  So the doctor convinced me to try the 1 hour glucose tolerance test.  I failed with 150, needed to be under 130.  So they called and asked me to do the 3 hour test well of course with that high amount of sugar I dumped for the first time.  So the lab called my doctor and the assistant told them they would call me or go over everything at my appointment on the 16th.  They also told the lab that I would have to repeat the 3 hr test.  Well I'm obviously not going to do that. What did you guys do as an alternative to the test?  My PA that works with my by pass doctor recommended eating a high carb breakfast she said she's heard of people doing that.   So I guess we will see what they say when I go to the doctors but I'm not doing that again.  THANKS!
Brooklynnsmom
on 8/10/11 2:16 am, edited 8/10/11 2:17 am - Bellevue, NE
I have had 2 post op babies who are now 4 and 2. I had 2 different drs (long story). The first dr. had me test my sugar levels first thing in the morning and 2 hours after every meal for about a week and just bring the results in to her at my next appt. With my next dr. (my 2 yr. old), he had me just come in first thing in the morning and he had the lab draw blood and get the A1C and he just went with that result. I definately didn't do the sugar drink though! I would tell them there are other options out there.

Debbie
jac2010
on 8/10/11 4:10 am
 Thanks so much!  We will see what they say when I go next week but I know I'm not putting myself through that again (I'm sure I will get sick).  
Rhie P.
on 8/10/11 5:11 am
I'm actually really worried about the test....I had gestional diabetes with my last two babies....the sugar drink made me sick (and that was before WLS)...I can't even imagine it now....

Rhie

hockeybabe2u
on 8/10/11 6:52 am - Allegan, MI
I'm right there with you!  I wouldn't take that drink for anything!  Luckily my OB office doesn't insist on it.  Instead they have me go in the morning after fasting and have my blood drawn and then go have a normal breakfast or lunch and come back 2 hours after eating my 1st bite and redraw my blood again.  I did that with my last baby and again with this baby (but just found out the lab cancelled my order (have no reason why) and I need to go back and have it checked again, which makes me very mad!).

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

RESCUEGIRL78
on 8/10/11 10:34 am - NC
I just did my 1 hour Glucose test this morning, instead of doing the drink they let me eat 20 Brach's Jellybeans and then they took my blood. However they told me for breakfast that I could not eat anything with sugar in it for breakfast so I had 2 eggs scrambled with cheese. I should find out tomorrow but I having a feeling that I failed because I could feel my sugar was to high which I am starting to have some trouble with. I don't know what I will do if I have to 3 hour test. Good Luck with that, let me know what they suggest so maybe I will know what to look forward to.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
USAF Wife
on 8/10/11 11:11 am
Even though  I have a sleeve, I simply refused to do the glucose test. Transit time, and the sheer fact that I rarely eat 75gr of sugar over the course of an entire day, I just didn't believe that the test results would be accurate.

My ob and I agreed that at-home glucose testing would be most accurate. I tested first thing in the morning, fasting, and then 3 times a day 2 hours after my 3 largest "meals". My results were perfect, and my levels remained normal the entire time. I never changed my food or beverage intake over that 2 week time period.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views