Baby Boy on August 11 and Post-Partum Issues

Jenn1973
on 8/29/11 12:08 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Hi Ladies,

I have been absent from the Board for a while because our little monkey decided to arrive two weeks early!  Our son, Julian Frederick, arrives on 11-08-11 at 4:44AM.  He is thriving and neither of us can get enough of him. 

Julian's birth was pretty normal, but the labour was not.  My placenta had ruptured which caused me to bleed for 18 hours before his birth.  After he arrived, I had to be rushed to the OR to get my placenta out as it was up too high for the doctor to extract manually and it wasn'tcoming on its own.  It is all worth it of course, because Julian is more than perfect in my eyes. 

I know that vaginal/vulvan tearing is normal during a vaginal birth and my stitches have been healing.  I am finding, however, that there is a lot of itching at the tear site and I am hoping someone might have a trick to help relieve the itch.  I know that an itch indicates that healing is taking place, but it is really brutal!  I don't know what is worse, the itch or the pain!

Any tips would be most helpful!

Thanks
Jenn

Baby Boy Julian Frederick
Born August 11, 2011

mandajolyn
on 8/29/11 1:58 pm - Tallahassee, FL
Congrats on the baby boy! Glad he's he and doing well!
Maybe benadryl? Or a vaginal itch cream? Not sure if hydrocortisone cream can be put down there or not.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

Jenn1973
on 8/30/11 7:41 am - Ottawa, Canada

I guess I should check things out with my OB before I move ahead.  I think the big friggin pads that I am wearing are not helping the situation - despite the fact that I change them at every possible chance I get.  Because I am still bleeding, I get no air down there, so ick.

Thanks
Jenn

Born August 11, 2011

victoria3
on 8/29/11 11:20 pm - Douglassville, PA
Congratulations!!

I would suggest Benadryl and a call to your doctor if it doesn't get better.  I wouldn't put anything topical on your tear as it might cause an infection. 

Jenn1973
on 8/30/11 7:43 am - Ottawa, Canada
Thanks.  I think you are right about chatting with my MD first.  It is just so damn annoying - especially at night.  Benadryl doesn't seem to help.

J

Born August 11, 2011

Keya L.
on 8/30/11 12:08 am - St. Paul, MN
Soak a cotton ball in witch hazel and dab it on your perineum...I'm actually surprised the hospital didn't mention this to you. It has antiseptic qualities to it and helps soothe the irritation and itch.
LSUtigerGirl
on 8/30/11 12:19 am
Ditto on Witch Hazel cotton balls. It helps imensely.

I also found sitting on an ice pack helped numb the area and releive the itching.
Jenn1973
on 8/30/11 7:44 am - Ottawa, Canada
They had ice packs and special wipes in the hospital and they did suggest TUCKS, but not getting witch hazel and applying it directly to the site.  Good idea.  Thanks!
J

Born August 11, 2011

IamMrsMcDole
on 8/30/11 2:40 am - Anderson, IN
Don't use toilet paper get a squeeze bottle and use warm water to rinse. Witch hazel and tucks pads. Yes stitches itch but I wouldn't put any cream unless dr says u can. Just take a look at yourself there and make sure no infections.
Jessica

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Jenn1973
on 8/30/11 7:46 am - Ottawa, Canada
I used the water bottle for the first week but got rid of it after that.  I guess the "healing" is really taking place now, causing more discomfort.  I think you are right baout asking the doctor before I use a cream.  I may have ti send my husband to Walmart fr  new squeeze bottle!

Thanks
Jenn

Born August 11, 2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1258 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 869 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1336 views