Daycare

AmusedOne
on 9/30/11 1:25 am - York, PA
Anyone have any advice on choosing one?  I am not due until March 24th - but apparently in the area I work in, most daycares have MONTHS long waiting lists!  One of them I called has a 14 month waiting list - am I supposed to get on lists BEFORE I TTC?  Getting way frustrated here...

Those I have found with infant availability seem so far apart in style, price ($150-400 weekly!) and I just have no idea what to ask...

Obviously beyond, hours, number of children, price, location - any suggestions on what to find out before I plan to go in and visit? 

Thoughts - I work about 60 miles from home, should I plan on daycare near home or by my office?  I like the PEOPLE in the area I live in vs. work in, but do I want my baby with someone else for an additional 2 - 3 hours a day for commute time?

This is making my head hurt!!  

One last questions - if I call a daycare center 3 plus times over the course of multiple days, and get no answer, am I wrong to eliminate them from my list of considerations?  I feel like if I can't call and check on my baby, do I want him or her there at all?

Anyone have any good advice on this one?  Staying home as much as I would like to, is not an option...
Angie
Jennifer H.
on 9/30/11 1:35 am - stockton, CA
I was lucky enough to beable to stay home and when it got hard on us and had to go back I had grandma next door by that time I was able to do preschool and if I couldnt get to my boy in time grandma could pick him up and she keep him two days a weeks as well.

As for them not calling back I wouldnt bother one they must not want more kid or are just to busy to have more kids and at that a baby.You will find someone who you really like.

May my Angles rest in peace.....
Born April 24,2011 Bethanie Marie passed April 25,2011 and Grace Anne passed May 6,2011
pregnancy calendar

Keya L.
on 9/30/11 1:58 am - St. Paul, MN
Would you consider a home daycare? This is usually a more affordable option, and we have found, better attention for our kids since it was on a small scale. 

As far as which location to look, I'd look near work. If you had to leave work early for a sick child, you'd be able to get there sooner for pickup. Less stress for you driving to pick up and less stress for the child care provider if there's a lot of crying.

And yes, if the center can't take the time to call back, write them off...They obviously don't care about calling back potential clients and it may be difficult to get through to check on your baby.

IMO, a home daycare is the way to go...cheaper, more flexibility, and more attention. We have always used a home daycare and would never even consider a center. Oh, and our home daycare does a preschool program, so they are doing some "schooling" like a center would do.
Good luck!!
AmusedOne
on 9/30/11 11:58 pm - York, PA
Home daycare is my plan - and I am finding it hard to find one in a SEMI decent neighborhood in the part of Baltimore where I work.  And even those upon driving by I liked the look of the area, they are not returning calls, etc. 

Of those who have called me back, those with programs seem to be full - of course MD law only allows them to have under 2's per adult and most are one adult caregiver.  I am a bit concerned with the fact they can have 8 children total.  I know I myself would NEVER be comfortable care taking for 8 children of any age...
Angie
hockeybabe2u
on 9/30/11 2:11 am, edited 9/30/11 2:15 am - Allegan, MI
I'm currently a stay at home mom, but have had daycare in the past. Do you know if there is an agency in your area that can give you listings of daycare providers? I would ask other people in your neighborhood or at work that use daycare if they have any recommendations. If you have facebook, asking on your status might give you responses from some of those people your not as close with but have experience. Personally, I felt most comfortable with home daycares and found them to be much cheaper! Plus, I'm sure they don't have long waiting times! Things I would want to ask them during an interview are: Are they licensed (ask to see copy), how long they've been doing this, references, price, discipline tactics, do they provide meals and snacks (most should for older children, but don't for those with babies on formula and baby food.....most don't provide diapers and wet ones either), how do they handle vacations, holiday and sick time (for both you, baby and them.....do you pay for their sick, holiday and vacation time .....do they allow you and baby sick time or holiday, vacation time unpaid), do they have a safe, quite place for your baby to sleep?, do they have a problem if you stop by anytime to check up on baby or pick-up baby?, do they have specific daycare hours and what happens if you have to go to work early or late. Those are the things that come off the top of my head. Most importantly, you should feel comfortable with them and their surroundings. Also try to go during the time they have children and ask the older ones how they like the provider and watch the younger ones closely (do they look happy, safe and content). Watch how the provider behaves towards them as well! Keep in mind there will always be at least one area that you don't see eye to eye on, but overall you need to like the person and feel confident that your child will be safe, happy and content!

I wouldn't rule out calling or interviewing any daycare provider that is located between your house and work that is easy access to get to. Once your child is older and at preschool age, then you might consider putting them somewhere where you want them to attend school (or in your own school district). I wouldn't consider the daycare center that hasn't called you back.....it would be a HUGE red sign to me. If the provider don't call you back within a reasonable time, then move on. I personally wouldn't give them beyound 24-48 hours to call me back (unless of course, I call them on a Friday). Hope I was able to help you out! Good luck! I know how hard it is to find someone you can feel comfortable enough with to send your children to!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

hockeybabe2u
on 9/30/11 2:26 am - Allegan, MI
Also, for peace of mind, get a signed contract on their rules, dicipline tactics,  holiday/vacation/sick time paid, rates and hours, ALONG with notice of discharge (I've had providers quit on me without notice....there should be at least a 1 or 2 week notice you and/or the provider must give before quitting....sometimes they have a trial period to make sure the child and provider get along).  Most providers have a general contract with all these listed and if not, make sure you draw one up!  Make sure you both sign it and each have a copy!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

AmusedOne
on 9/30/11 11:59 pm - York, PA
Thanks!!
A signed contract never even crossed my mind!! :)
Angie
200 PoundsGone
on 9/30/11 9:36 am
I know the headache you are experiencing right now.  Me and the hubby were always trying to balance childcare for our 2 love bugs and it became annoying as well scary because of the uncertainty of having reliable childcare. I looked around for some places as well and having two young ones at the time would have taken the majority of my pay.  One place I contacted the lady said $350 a week for the baby and $250 for my 2 year old.  So I had to take a step down from my position and put my mommy apron on full-time.  It was hard to adjust to but I know that is not an option for you.  Follow your heart, I pray it all falls into place for you.  Don't stress your self out.

Come follow me on Instagram @200poundsgone
HW: 420.. Maybe more
413 (7/14/2005
)
260 (6/10/2010)
260 (09/28/2011)- No Weight Loss but the inches are dropping OFF *ZUMBA BABY*
204 (06/02/2013)- In the BEST shape of my life. Addicted to FITNESS

Lexa321
on 9/30/11 10:36 pm - weston, FL
i also went with the in home option when my son was very tiny... we have been super lucky now that they are watched by their aunt.
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 9:48 am - Woodbridge, VA
I don't have the option to stay home, either. Depending on traffic, my job is about 40-75 minutes away from my home. I am choosing a daycare near my home because I want my husband to be able to pick up/drop off the child if I am unable to do so, and he and I do not work near each other. Plus, I'm more likely to stay living in the home I own, whereas job locations change (my last company relocated their office while I was working there, and I'm also not afraid to change employers if my job is not going well). I had an IB with an office near my work office before, and then I changed jobs, and now I'm nowhere NEAR that OB's office, so I switched to a new one. I would think it would be much more difficult to transition to a new daycare simply due to location.

I'm also bouncing between in-home daycare and regular daycare centers. Centers around here run about $300-400 weekly. I know in-home can be MUCH more affordable, and most never have any problems, but I also have a niece whose wrist and leg were both broken (on separate occasions) while in the care of an in-home daycare provider - there was a trial and a LOT of family/emotional stress, so consider me slightly traumatized my the whole ordeal. I will still look into home daycare, but I will get on waiting lists for my preferred centers first since their lists are obviously long.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1258 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 867 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1335 views