When did you decide to start trying?

bittybabynurse
on 10/14/11 1:23 am - MN
Ugh. The baby cravings are coming on bad. I know part of it is because of the hormones. Another part is because I'm getting closer to my goal weight. Yet another part is because DD is getting to be such a kid! She's going to be three next month and is losing all the "baby-ness" of her toddler years. DH and I have been talking more and more about it. I was thinking about waiting until maybe January or Feb before we start trying. I'm going to be 33 this year and I'd like to have the baby before I'm 35. But I want to be able to grow a baby safely.

Did you talk to your surgeon first? Did you have a regular OB or a high risk OB/doc? Would you have done anything differently?
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
onlyoneboy
on 10/14/11 2:23 am - St. Paul Park, MN
Just my 2 cents, but, WAIT.  You just had surgery this past summer.  I talked to my doc first and he gave me the go ahead at 1 year post-op.  I was at my goal weight and had been stable for about 3 months.  I have a regular family practice doc for my pregnancy care.  I will be having an amnio done, but, that is because I'm 36 and at a higher risk for downs.    It only took me 3 monts to concieve.  Don't be in such a hurry.

Jennifer H.
on 10/14/11 5:18 am - stockton, CA
My OB and Surgeon wanted me to wait 12 to 19 months so I waited tell I was 19 months out.I did blood work and checked all my vitamins and such once they both gave me an OK we started trying.Most OB send gastric bypass patients to high risk for many different reason.My OB knew enough to get me through my pregnancy and he worked with my surgeon if he has questions.I was sent to a high risk once I started having problems but nothing to do with surgery.

Talk to your doctors meet with them and see what they say then go from there best thing to do.
Good luck and best wishes when the time is right.

May my Angles rest in peace.....
Born April 24,2011 Bethanie Marie passed April 25,2011 and Grace Anne passed May 6,2011
pregnancy calendar

MusicMaryn
on 10/14/11 6:32 am - San Jose, CA
i'm with the other girls. WAIT!  Most bariatric surgeons want you to wait 18-24 months post op before starting to TTC.  Your body is in quite a bit of shock during the 1st year post op and then the surgeons want to see your body stabilize for at least 6 months after that - really 6 months after you get to your goal and maintain your weight.   When you get to that point, you should absolutely talk to your bari surgeon about that.  Tell him/her that you want to get pg and let him give you the timing guidelines.  You're still only 33.  I'm 41 and I'm TTC our 1st child.  But I didn't start until 15 mos post op (with my bari surgeon's green light) and now I'm 26 mos post op and still TTC.  You do still have more time.  Just focus on your health for now.  Which btw... you're doing great!  Congrats on such a great weight loss since just this summer!
Our little miracle baby boy is on his way!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Violet S.
on 10/14/11 6:39 am - NY
 Unless my math is wrong, you are less than 5 months out from WLS... WAIT! They usually recommend 18- 24 months, and I think that would be wise.  Good luck! 
bittybabynurse
on 10/14/11 8:37 am - MN
I wasn't talking about starting to try now. I guess I'm just wondering what is most important - being to goal weight and having a stable weight for a certian amount of time, or just a certian time out from surgery... I haven't talked to the surgeon, but I will when I see him in December.

If I were a bit younger, I would wait a lot longer. It took us 2 years to get pregnant with our first daughter. We started fertility studies and they were never able to give us a reason, weight related or not. I don't have PCOS or anything like that. I just don't want to wait a year or two to start to try and then have it take 2 years again.

I'll see what the surgeon says and see when I reach goal and stabilize... Thanks for your advice.
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
hockeybabe2u
on 10/14/11 8:50 am - Allegan, MI
Yeah, I'd wait until your at least a year out! You'll probably find out that it wont take you long to get pregnant. Having the surgery tends to make us WAY more fertile and it's even required that you use 2 forms of birth control. It usually solves alot of womens PCOS as well.....which you said you don't have. I'm sure you will be pregnant in no time once you start trying! Good luck!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1257 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 867 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1334 views