Good news but scary

CATHERINE81
on 11/22/11 3:13 am - BROCKTON, MA
Hey everyone im 11 weeks 3 days the baby is growing 11 weeks 6 days. i went for my 3 month check up today and im in the clear everything looks great baby looks healthy and doctor is very happy so am i however on a down side im a little concerned, heres my thing i was a bad diabetic preop rny left hospital after surgary no insulan or meds and have been doing good now that im pregnet they want me to test fasting and 2 hours every meal im horrible at it and the nurse wasnt happy. my eating is all over the place been eating sweets which isnt me donuts are my down fall i eat them but feel awful after now i know im 2.5 years post opp i should know better but im scared. i have to test today and tomorrow and call with numbers if shes not happyy i got to go on meds which im not thrilled at all im pissed but i got to do whats right for the baby. im also borderline bipolar and was on ambilify before surgary stopped when i found out i was pregnent. well im a walking time bomb and she presecribed ambilify a very low dose im just scared any input anyone

thanks
catherine and baby
Hollywog
on 11/22/11 4:31 am
I don't know anything re the meds - ambilify or any others - but would assume for the ambilify they're not going to prescribe something that'd harm the baby...but you want to make sure you're mentally healthy enough to take care of you and baby physically.  If you're concerned about the med specifically re your pregnancy, talk to the dr or talk to the pharmacist.  I do believe there are others on here who have taken anti-depressants, etc., and hopefully they'll jump in here and help you out with that.

I also am not - nor have I ever been diabetic...but wanted to let you know that I do understand the difficulty in resisting the sweets...but you need to remind yourself WHY you're resisting.  You've been diabetic before, which I believe someone else responded to you before and told you that makes you more susceptible to gestational diabetes now...and that it could throw you back into being an 'active' diabetic even after pregnancy.  You need to find a way to resist the bad foods and take care of it now...try your best (no guarantees it'll work!) to avoid the gestational diabetes.  If donuts are your downfall...stay away from them.  Don't buy your coffee at a donut shop, don't go in the bakery at the grocery store, if your colleagues are bringing them to work, ask that they not put them near you or where you'll be passing through.  If you're anything like me with sweets...you're fine w/o them until you've had that first bite...then you want the box of them.  Avoid that first bite...it'll lead to a road you do NOT want to follow.  Keep some healthy snacks on hand - in snack-sized portions - for you as an alternative to the donuts or sweets. 

If it helps at all - and I'm totally trying to make this up to help, not something I've tried or know anything about - set an alarm on your cell phone every few hours to tell you when it's OK to eat...and strong arm yourself not to eat outside that time frame.  Sort of like an audio rubber band snap on the wrist or something.  Just find something that works for you.

Glad to hear the rest of your appointment went well and that the baby's growing on schedule, etc.  You're almost in your 2nd trimester already!

Holly
 January 2008, 
               July 2008
               December 2008  
               July 2009
               September 2010
               July 2011

Mom to Khaled

CATHERINE81
on 11/22/11 4:55 am - BROCKTON, MA
Thank you i know i got to getittogether its just so hard doing it alone, i ate really good tofay and will continue and i cook pretty much bariatric style for thansgiving so its be pretty healthy. i think the alarm thing will work i appreciate your input alot thanks and as of saturday ill be in clear but by baby groth tomorrow lol so confusing
Sarah V.
on 11/22/11 7:53 am
I was Diabetic pre-surgery (lap band) and am still technically Diabetic although very well controlled.  During pregnancy, my A1C started going up...something about pregnancy can cause that.  I had gotten very lax about checking my blood sugar since I was practically non-Diabetic after losing 120 lbs but I got back to it during pregnancy.  It's  pain in the a$$ but you HAVE to do it. 

I second the PP's advice about setting reminders on your phone.  That's what I did.  I would eat my meal and immediately set the timer on my phone for 2 hours.  Snacks were always low carb things like hard boiled eggs and cheese sticks.  I also had to have a snack late at night because my morning fasting numbers were really low.  I checked 4 times a day while I was pregnant. 

There's nothing that makes it fun or easy but I can tell you that my diligence paid off because I had a perfect 6lb 15oz baby girl (not a 10 pounder like most Diabetics) and they checked her blood sugar when she was born and it was perfect.

I can't help with the Abilify question but perhaps you could seek out a doctor who specilizes in Pharmacology and can help find a medication that works for you and is safe for baby. 

Good luck!

Lap Band September 2007 / Slip discovered March 2014 after significant regain / Revised to VSG April 29, 2014

kasondra123
on 11/24/11 1:17 am - CT
Right there with you...  Havn't been on any meds since my surgery but i was told that I would have to go on insulin just until i have the baby. I to have been eating everything from everywhere which is awful. And I am so terrible at testing. We just have to keep reminding ourselves that it's for the baby and the meds are a temp thing. Right? With that being said take a deep breath and things will work out for you and the baby.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1237 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 861 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1322 views