Lap Band Question

Angelique J.
on 1/12/12 1:01 am - Allentown, PA
I have heard tertiary tales (my brother's friend's sister...) of people having their band slip during labor. Any first hand info out there as my doctor's office didn't really offer any insight into this other than saying I could have some fluid taken out late in pregnancy (I'd rather not do it if there is no real evidence of this being an issue as I like my restriction quite well). Thanks for your thoughts.

BTW - I'm currently 18 weeks pregnant.

HW - 366+/1stSW - 325/CW - 301/GW - 200,

Lap-banded 3-5-2008, planning for revision to RNY 

J.A.C.+M  poly w/ child

Dev *.
on 1/12/12 3:53 am - Austin, TX
I would say that the risk of that is pretty low, unless maybe you're doing a lot of vomiting? I haven't heard of it happening to anyone around here. With my first band baby we removed a little fluid early on due to my nausea and the actually put it back in after 14 weeks. This time I haven't had any removed and I'm actually thinking of getting a fill. Neither of my band surgeons has indicayed that slip during labor is a concern.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

tamiissunshine
on 1/12/12 8:19 am - Halsey, OR
I've never heard that. I had a C section and afterwards I did swell up with fluid so much that I couldn't keep fluids down so my doc had to come and give me an unfill about 2 hours after my C section. I am hoping that won't happen this time as I don't have quite as much fluid in my band this pregnancy. But as far as slipping cause of contractions I wouldn't think so.
Tami   "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Mell
on 1/17/12 12:43 am
I have heard horrid stories about women who after labor becaus of swelling and stress have problems. Then when they are suppose to be enjoing their newborn end up in emergency trying to get an unfill.
My plan is to stick with me fill as is hopefully till the last month then get an unfill to just to be sure and then schedule another appointment a month after the baby is due to have it filled back up. I just do not want to be stuck in the ER.
But talk to your doctor maybe he has had people in the past.

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Angelique J.
on 1/17/12 5:54 am - Allentown, PA
So my ultimate conclusion is no one has any first hand accounts of this happening, my doctor hadnt heard of any clients that this happened to so chances are I will leave my restriction right where it is which has worked well for me so far. Thanks to everyone *****sponded.

HW - 366+/1stSW - 325/CW - 301/GW - 200,

Lap-banded 3-5-2008, planning for revision to RNY 

J.A.C.+M  poly w/ child

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1254 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 866 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1331 views