Why am I getting dizzy & blacking out whenever I stand up??

CRAZY_BEAUTiFUL
on 1/15/12 11:57 pm - Newark, DE
 This never happened before I was pregnant, so I can't really say what it could be. I'm planning to call my OB, but they don't open until noon today & this is hardly a life threatening emergency. Its really uncomfortable when this happens, I feel like the area around my eyes is being squeezed (it doesn't hurt though) & I have to stop walking. I've also been feeling cold, occasionally my nails turn blue & heart palpitations. Its happened since I was about 6 weeks pregnant & I've had my blood pressure checked & it was always fine (I've always had almost perfect blood pressure). Has anyone had this happen? What did it turn out to be? What do you think my OB will do? Have me come in for an appointment? Or have me wait until my next appointment?
Keya L.
on 1/16/12 12:48 am - St. Paul, MN
Your OB should have you go in, if they don't, go in anyway. Blue fingernails and being cold could be signs of inadequate circulation. Coupled with heart palpitations, this should warrant a visit to the doctor. They may want to do a Holter monitor on you for a bit just to record what's going on with your heart. It could also be nothing, but better to be safe than sorry. Keep us posted :)
CRAZY_BEAUTiFUL
on 1/16/12 2:39 am - Newark, DE
 I spoke to the nurse at my OB's office & she said that happens a lot during early pregnancy because when you get up too fast, blood rushes to protect the baby. Makes sense. 
Nikki M.
on 1/16/12 5:32 am
I'm 9 weeks pregnant and am becoming extremely light headed when I first stand up. If I try to walk I feel like I'm going to pass out. I need to stand up slowly and let my body adjust to the change in position for a minute! I assumed it was normal. I'm glad to hear your OB's explanation. :)

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lianne C.
on 1/16/12 5:57 am - Garden City, MI
I had an issue with something similar, ended up being my blood sugar dropping, definitely talk to your OB. I never had the problem with my fingers though.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
onlyoneboy
on 1/16/12 6:29 am - St. Paul Park, MN
That would happen to me all the time.  Try pumping your legs a bit before you stand up to get the blood moving.

MusicMaryn
on 1/17/12 1:04 am - San Jose, CA
I've been haivng the dizzies when standing up for weeks now.  It's normal because we are now generating ALOT more blood to supply the baby.  As a result, our blood pressure drops rapidly when standing up.  I just take it very slowing and take a couple deep cleansing breaths before standing up.  Once I'm up, i take a couple more deep breaths before moving.  It's annoying but very normal.  Just take it easy.  Dont take a step until you've taken a couple deep cleansing breaths and feel steady on your feet.
Our little miracle baby boy is on his way!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1241 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views