8 months out and surprise!

Chickenboob
on 4/14/12 7:18 pm - Rockland, Canada
So, being my usual murphy's law born and bred irish woman, I am 8 months out from my RNY and pregnant (4 weeks). I don't have an appointment with my weight management clini****il MAY 1. I am of course worried about my nutrient levels.  My GP suggested that I swap out one of my multivitamins with materna, to keep Vit A levels more reasonable and to increase my folic acid intake.

For those who are or have been in the same boat, what were you told by your bariatric team? How have you adjusted your food intake to accomodate a new life? I already make every calorie count. Any advice and insight would be appreciated.

Also, I recently started a learn to run program with the Running Room. By recently, I mean March 24th. I am doing well and would prefer to continue. Any runners out there who can let me know what their DR said about it?

I have noticed everyone seems to have cool pregnancy tickers. Where do you find them?

Thanks!

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

Celia S.
on 4/15/12 3:16 am - Grand Junction, CO
Hi there! I found out 4 weeks ago that I am expecting and I'll be 6 months out on the 18th. First off, congratulations!

Here's what my surgeon has told me so far:
1. Don't gain any weight (this may be different for you depending on how close you are to goal. I am still 100 lbs away from mine)
2. Continue with your bariatric vitamins. I've added a prenatal, too, but did not replace any of my regular vits.
3. Get at least 70g protein and 80oz water per day.

You're already on the right track by making every calorie count. We don't really need any extra calories in the first trimester, so don't feel like you have to add any more food into your daily routine (at least not right now.) In the second and third trimesters is when baby does the most growing and may require extra calories, but even then, only 200-300 extra per day. NOT a lot!

As for running, I would normally be inclined to say that it's okay to continue, but not so sure considering how new the running program is to you. I say as long as you feel okay and don't push yourself too hard you'll be okay. So test out the waters and see how you feel. If you feel like it's too much then hold off on the running program until after you have the baby, but still keep an exercise regime.

Best of luck to you and wishes for a happy, healthy pregnancy. :)

(P.S. The tickers are usually linked to the pages where they were created. If you click on them, it should take you to the right place! :) )
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1269 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 873 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1344 views