Intro and a few questions

bittybabynurse
on 5/18/12 4:12 am - MN
Hi ladies!
I'm just about a year out from my RNY and found out a month ago that we're pregnant. I'm now 8w5d.  I met with my surgeon right away and he recommended that I see the high-risk OB/GYN at my hospital. (I work at the same hospital I had my surgery at...) I work in the NICU so I knew of her. I had a great first appt. I've had recurrent miscarriages so she did an ultrasound right away and I got to see the heartbeat!!

We talked a bit about nutritional requirements and I told her that I am trying to eat an extra 300 or so calories a day and she said she was fine with that. The problem is - I am still losing weight. Is that typical that I would keep losing?  I'm not losing tons of weight, about 5lbs in the last 3 weeks. Should I eat more? At what point should I start gaining weight? I'm at 160, with a BMI of 25, if that matters. I know I could send her an email and ask her these things, and I will, but I've learned to value the input from other WLS peeps.
Thanks in advance!!
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
Paula622
on 5/18/12 5:11 am
It is not uncommon to lose weight during the first trimester.  At this point, I'd say that unless your doc is concerned about it at your next appointment, it is probably fine.  Good luck, and congratulations!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/12 6:37 am - Woodbridge, VA
You're doing fine  :)  I lost about 12 pounds in my first trimester, and that was with no morning sickness, just healthy eating.
mardigrascorndog
on 5/18/12 10:16 pm - New Orleans, LA
 Hello Bitty,
I am almost 3 years out from a DS and I'm 41yo peds nurse and 35 weeks pregnant. I have been followed all along by my OB and my perinatologist. The docs were not too concerned about my weight gain until a few weeks ago when I had maintained for several weeks in a row. I really had to step up my intake and it has helped. I have been drinking high calorie smoothies and milkshakes. My point is that as long as you and the docs are aware and monitoring it and staying on top of it everything should be fine. As of right now they are saying that my baby is SGA and they are going to induce at 37 weeks. Good luck with everything.
Michele 
HW 246 SW 229 CW126 GW130 

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/12 11:33 pm - Woodbridge, VA
What is SGA?

I had a similar stretch in my third trimester where my doc sort of gave me a funny look because I'd only gained a pound in about 4 weeks. I didn't change anything, though, and everything was fine in the end  :)
mardigrascorndog
on 5/19/12 10:00 am - New Orleans, LA
 Hi Jilly,
SGA means small for gestational age. At first the doc thought I might be IUGR (interuterine growth restriction), but now they have backed off of that diagnosis and think that he is just a small baby. He and I are working hard at gaining weight, but it has been a bit of a challenge with my DS. I will be induced at 37 weeks so that he can start to fatten up outside the womb.
Michele
HW 246 SW 229 CW126 GW130 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1257 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 867 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1334 views