Any suggestions on sugar substitutes?

sferko
on 5/22/12 9:26 am - Clayton, NC
I just found out I am 7 weeks pregnant after 3 1/2 years of trying. I am so exicted but am having a hard time getting all my food in every day. I get nauseaous every time I eat. Plain water makes me sick and I worried about getting enough fluid and vitamins.

I've heard that splenda and stevia are ok but I wondered if there were any other options anyone had tried?

Any other suggestions for pregnancy after WLS?
Paula622
on 5/22/12 11:26 am
I"m certainly no doctor, but I drank diet coke (aspertame) all through both my pregnancies, and both my kids are fine... I think you just have to pick your battles.  The way I see it, dehydration is probably much riskier to your baby than drinking some crystal lite (or whatever your non-water drink of choice is).  Congratulations and good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Nikki M.
on 5/22/12 1:11 pm
The American Academy of Pediatrics states artificial sugars are fine in moderation. Aspartame and Splenda are the ones I use. One of the older substitute sugars isn't recommended during pregnancy... i can't remember which one, but its not common anymore.
I put splenda in my tea and drink one diet soda with either splenda or aspartame every day. I haven't had any problems. I know a lot of people worry about the affects of artificial sugars during pregnancy... but I'm more worried about gestational diabetes. Moderation!
Good luck :)

Lapband 8/2007. Revised to VSG 10/2010.... 170 pounds lost!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

sferko
on 5/22/12 8:22 pm - Clayton, NC
 Thanks ladies. You've been a great help! 
 Pregnancy Ticker
Dev *.
on 5/23/12 12:08 am - Austin, TX
I mostly stick to Stevia or erythritol. There is now a crystal light drink mix swetened with stevia and I love the lemondae and raspberry lemonade mixes made by Tru Lemon that are Stevia sweetened as well.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/12 3:10 am - Woodbridge, VA
When I first found out I was pregnant, I avoided all artificial sweeteners (including Splenda) for my first and most of my second trimester ****il I "fell off the wagon," but that's another story!). I didn't care who said they were safe...I didn't trust them! I also came across something when searching online about stevia possibly affecting hormones (which is why I also avoided soy), so I didn't use that, either.

I drank water with lemon in it or water with about 1/4 cup of pure cranberry juice (unsweetened, not from concentrate). I only threw up 3 times throughout my entire pregnancy, and one of those times was when I drank a bottle of the 0-calorie Sobe made with stevia. The other two times were when I ate at Panera  :P

I had some nausea in the early weeks, but as soon as I cut out all junk, grains, and artificial sweeteners and ate whole, low-carb foods, my nausea disappeared within about a week and never came back.

I did drink diet soda again in my third trimester - sweetened with aspartame. My baby does not have 3 heads or anything  :P
(deactivated member)
on 5/24/12 10:32 am
I was told absolutely no aspertame. IE no sweet n low, no equal. They told me the only safe sugar substitute was splenda. Hope that helps
kristeninoc
on 5/28/12 10:19 am - Santa Ana, CA
Hi.  I am 8 weeks & also feel very ill & most food & liquid are not great right now.  I also had NO problems with sugar for 8 plus months & now can not tolerate it anymore :( I guess thats a good thing.  Ginger is supposed to help, I just got some ginger tea @ target & prego pops @ destination maternity from the mall.  Those seem to help, give em a try :D  Feel better & Congrats!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1258 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 867 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1335 views