How do I gain weight?? 24 wks along. Also question about glucose tolerance test.

bittybabynurse
on 9/6/12 3:54 pm, edited 9/5/12 8:57 pm - MN
Hi, I haven't been on the board for quite awhile, I'm 24 weeks and things have been blessedly uneventful. We found out that we're having another girl!! Things have been going pretty smoothly for the most part. (For what its worth I'm 14 mos post RNY, down 100+ lbs from surgery weight when I got pregnant and up 2lbs since then.) I am seeing a high risk OB/GYN who is also the chief of the OB/GYN department. My surgeon suggested I see her and since I'm a NICU nurse at this same hospital, I know her and how good she is. I couldn't possibly be in better hands.

When I saw my doc a few weeks ago she told me that she wanted to see me gain weight, since I hadn't to that point. I've been trying, mostly by eating more of the same things - like eating chicken breast for supper and then an hour later eating more chicken and so on. I also try to add in a protein bar, or just a regular granola bar if I don't want anything super "dense" to eat, at least once a day. I just don't know what else to try, I would love some advice, suggestions, anything really! I have an appt scheduled with a nutritionist but its not until October 10th. The scheduler is working to get me in sooner (perks of being an employee in the same hospital) and is going to check with my surgeon to see if he wants to see me too.

I had my last ultrasound at 20 wks and baby was pretty much growing right on target - I think she was measuring a few days behind, but I know that's nothing to worry about. I just want to make sure she stays growing well and I don't end up with any nutrient deficiencies.

My doc decided not to do the GTT and just said that she'll do some random fasting blood glucoses. Is that what you ladies experienced? She said the drink is 50g of glucose and I know I could never do that (I get really ill if I eat a protein bar with anything clost to 20g of sugar). How many times did they check your blood sugar/labs?

I've really come to value the thoughts and opinions of people who have been there/done that, so I wanted to check with you mamas too. Thanks much!!

Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
Paula622
on 9/6/12 5:47 pm
I honestly don't see doctors fascination with maternal weight gain if the baby is growing fine.  Baby doesn't weigh that much at this point, so even just a small shift in your weight would account for the baby's gain.  During my first pregnancy (pre wls)  I didn't gain any weight until I was about 25 weeks, baby did just fine.  After that point I gained about 20 lbs which I then lost by the time the baby was 2 weeks old.  I think the biggest thing is making sure you're eating a good variety of healthy foods, eating enough to keep you both going, and making sure that the baby is growing well.  Anyway, that is my two cents.

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Jessie K.
on 9/9/12 7:07 pm
I'm 24 weeks myself, and I actually just spoke to my endocrinologist about this wednesday bc I was antsy that they hadn't done the GTT yet.
Apparently the results for a one hour tolerance test would be wonky compared to a normal person's results because the sugar from the drink bypasses the whole, sitting in a stomach part and rushes straight to the intestines and is rapidly absorbed. Not to mention potential issues with dumping.
They've been checking my A1c's and she mentioned offering to frequently check my sugars for a set amount of time.
babagrlshell
on 9/12/12 9:50 pm - Columbus, GA
It's okay! Most of us skipped the test in the group I run on facebook.
Lost 114 lbs. Highest weight 268. 

Always looking for new WLS friends. Friend me:
facebook.com/babagrlshell

Roxy2974
on 9/14/12 2:30 am - Austell, GA
I did a 2 hour fasting blood test. I fasted the night b4 like in surgery, got blood work done 1st ting in am then went to eat and came back in 2 hours and took another blood test. The drink won't work for us.

HW: 410 PLD: 401 SW: 388.8 CW: 240 GW: 180                   

Use Code: TouchstoneGA12 to get your OH conference tickets for $49.00
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1258 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 867 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1335 views