So, do I tell my boss I'm pregnant?

michellerayne
on 1/7/13 8:11 pm
RNY on 09/19/12

I'm in a bit of a pickle, lol.  I just graduated from college on Dec 15th.  I got a job about a week later, and I found out a week after that I was pregnant.  I just started my orientation with  my new job yesterday and I don't know if I should go ahead and tell her I'm pregnant even though I'm only 8 weeks.  I want to, because I think it's probably the right thing to do. But I'm concerned this will impact my new job and put me into the category of possibly being let go within the probationary period. My understanding anything can happen in that trial period, so pregnancy wouldn't be protected really.  Any advice would be awesome.  Thanks.

Michelle

Alice P.
on 1/7/13 9:02 pm

I would wait till you are thru the first trimester to tell your boss.

HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

cryspyx
on 1/7/13 10:30 pm - Hartford, CT

i agree. i would wait for the first trimester.

jana_m_dowler
on 1/8/13 12:57 am - Rockport, WV

Yes I agree with the others. i would wait. But I think it's against the law for the them to let you go or anything if you are pregnant. Correct me if I am wrong

Jana

nkjanes78
on 1/9/13 1:06 am - Norfolk, VA

It is against the law but they can look for other reasons to fire you to hide the fact that it's because your pregnant

SassySamara
on 1/8/13 1:58 am - San Antonio, TX

I would wait until after first trimester. Many women do, and use the reasoning of that is when you typically have less risk of miscarriage,etc. I waited until I was just past 14 weeks to tell with exception of a few close co workers. Although they can't let you go due to pregnancy itself, sad to say, they could use something else. Hopefully you have a relatively easy pregnancy so don't have to take time off, etc. Are you eligible for FMLA or is that after a year...I can't recall and each companie varies but that gives job protection.

Lilypie - (8swr) Lilypie - (XAvt)

michellerayne
on 1/8/13 2:55 am
RNY on 09/19/12
I think FMLA is usually after a year. I guess if they decide to let me go then that's what will happen. I can't spend my days worrying about it. I do think I'll wait through the first trimester though to be safer.

Sillycar
on 1/18/13 12:14 am

Michelle-

What state are you in? I am an HR professional. Even if you do not qualify for FMLA (you do need a year of service PLUS your organization has to employee 50 or more people within a 75 mile radius of your worksite), you MAY qualify for a state specific leave. If you tell me what state you are in, I can let you know if there are any state level leaves.  I agree- you should hold off on telling your supervisor at this point. You have no obligation to do so and you can give yourself a few months to make a good impression. It will make it a more comfortable conversation when you and your supervisor have had the opportunity to build a longer relationship. In the meantime, try to be a rock star employee!

Good luck!

michellerayne
on 1/18/13 12:39 am
RNY on 09/19/12
I live in Missouri, I really don't know much of the laws but if you do, that's great.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views