Failed IVF

jessicae
on 3/3/13 3:53 am

Yuck.  Did my first IVF 3 weeks ago and found out last Monday that it didn't work.  After WLS I was so hoping that pregnancy would come easy to us.  Just kind of down in the dumps.  Any other ladies going to an RE after WLS to become pregnant?  

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

Liz A.
on 3/3/13 4:39 am - OH
I'm sorry youre ivf didnt work. I had WLS in December 2011 and I've lost 165 lbs and holding. I too have had a hell if a time getting pregnant and was so hoping to have no problem after I'd gotten healthier and lighter. Well no such luck for me either. My husband is low but ok so we tried IUI in Jan (not pregnant). we decided to skip feb and try natural with OV kit. I ovulated but were still waiting to test for another week. We're going to try IUI a couple more times before taking a break. We want to try IVF too but not right now. I try to keep busy and not think about it. It's hard but I do puzzles or draw or play games on my phone. It's hard when in alone most nights but I think I'm doing ok. Good luck!
jessicae
on 3/3/13 5:11 am

thanks!  you too!  

we did 3 iui's before WLS in 2009/2010.  We previously had no other reason other than weight however have lost 120 pounds and still couldn't get pregnant so they did a different blood test and found out my ovarian reserve is very low (i am 37).  they said IVF was best shot.  

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

Lianne C.
on 3/3/13 6:24 am - Garden City, MI
I did not have to go through IVF, but I had a hard time TTC with my first post-op baby! I tried for a long time, finally ended up trying the Preseed that everyone was ranting and raving about. First time with that I conceived! I was beside myself though, had the same thought that being lighter/healthier would make it easier. But it was not the case. I even spoke with my OB about the difficulties and he was going to put me through all the testing if I did not conceive that month.

This time around I did not try, but it happened.. Good luck, and hopefully it will happen for you next time!
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Ann D.
on 3/13/13 10:40 pm - Amelia, OH

I didn't try prior to surgery, just after (and got married on my 18 month surgaversary).  It took us 5 years to get a take-home-baby.  It was my second IVF that worked.  I had 6 losses prior to that and even lost Ean's twin with that pregnancy.  For most, WLS is a godsend for fertility.  Then for some, it has nothing to do with weight.  Something else is amiss.

Good luck.  The first IVF is like a science experiment.  The next they will be able to customize and get better results.

Ann

Mom to Ean after 5 longs years of Infertility....2/29/12!

icon_angel.gif - 3/07                             icon_angel.gif - 12/07                             icon_angel.gif - 3/08 
icon_angel.gif - 5/09                             icon_angel.gif - 11/10                             icon_angel.gif - 2/11
jessicae
on 3/14/13 7:06 am

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the reply.  This is good to hear!  I am just worried because they are not changing anything for the 2nd IVF.  She said I responded like they expected, had 7 follies, 5 eggs retrieved, 3 mature, 2 fertilized with ICSI and used Assisted Hatching.  They transferred 2 8 cell grade 3 and grade 2 embryos on day 3. 

She said I had an antroverted uterus which tips down so I am not to have a full bladder at transfer which is the only different thing.  Plus they are doing a recurrent pregnancy loss panel on me with karotyping and chromosone analysis on DH also to see if that shows anything.  Thanks!

Ann D.
on 3/15/13 2:49 am - Amelia, OH

Can I ask your age?  Depending on your age, 7 follicles is not very aggressive.  I did my IVF at 36 and was able to retrieve 11.  Your grades look like they could have been better as well, are they doing LH with your gonal?  Menopur can help some women with better looking eggs.

jessicae
on 3/15/13 4:25 am

i am 37 diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve so 3 mature is pretty typical with that diagnosis.  I was on a microdose flare protocol which is an aggressive protocol, using 10 iu of Lupron in morning and evening, 150 iu follistim in morning and 150 follistim in evening, and 150 of menopur.  Women with normal ovarian reserve would have a response typical of what you had (8-15 eggs retrieved).  With women with the DOR/POF diagnosis they typically get much less and usually end up with a poor responder protocol such as the microdose lupron or the estrogen priming.  It sucks!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views