2 years post VSG and dealing with pregnancy weight gain

Butterfly17
on 10/28/13 4:29 pm - Miami, FL
Hi-
I'm looking to connect with other sleevers who after having a baby post op successfully lost their baby weight. A little about me- I'm 2 years post op and just had my second child a month ago. I gained a whopping 50 lbs during the pregnancy but a lot was due to preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome. I had the same conditions with my first child and the weight never came off which led to my VSG.
Needless to say this time, I have a surgical tool that can help me lose the weight but I'm looking to talk to other women to learn how they got back on track eating healthy and high protein in the postpartum weight loss phase.
Just as a side note, I have PCOS and for my pest pregnancy I needed 9 cycles of gonal f/ IUI to get pregnant. After my VSG and losing 95 lbs, all it took was one cycle of the injections/ IUI and I was pregnant the first cycle. Thought I'd share since I know so many women ask about getting pregnant post wls.
Mell
on 10/29/13 12:45 am

I don't have a sleeve but I do have a band. My first post op baby I gained nearly 50lbs also. And after I did the 5 day pouch test, this kind of shrunk (or it felt like it) my stomach. But it is hard we still have those muscle relaxing hormones in our bodies for a few months after pregnancy so we don't have the restriction we did before. I used my fitness pal and logged, weighed, and measured EVERYTHING!! It really helped me. I was able to get 40 off then...I got pregnant again 6 months later!

I only gained 30lbs with the next baby and I am still struggling to loose the last 15lbs, but those were the hardest to loose even right after my WLS so I assume they will be tough then putting my crazy life (3 girls, and working full time) on top of it I struggle. I walk nearly 3 miles a day at lunch and try my best to get to Bikram Yoga 2 days a week...

Good luck!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Butterfly17
on 10/29/13 3:20 am - Miami, FL
I've done the 5 day pouch test and its a great tool. How long did you wait before you really started to focus on your weight loss? I'm 6 weeks postpartum tomorrow and I find that with the baby not sleeping at night and me being excessively tired its hard to cut out the carbs now...
Paula622
on 10/30/13 4:15 am

I got pregnant 6 months after my sleeve.  Gained 18 lbs and it was gone by two weeks post partum.  That was my second baby, but first after surgery.  With my first baby, I had similar gain and loss... but then I gained 20 while nursing which led to the decision to have sleeve.  Determined not to fall back into that, I definitely paid a bit more attention to what I was eating while nursing #2 and I went on to lose 10 lbs beyond my pre-pregnancy weight which put me at my initial goal.  Now I'm pregnant again and I feel like I'm gaining weight a lot faster with this one than either of the other two.  Not sure how much of that is due to being the smallest when I got pregnant, or how much is due to my terrible diet right now.  Pregnancy has always been a bit of a magical time for me when I can eat things I wouldn't normally without much consequence.  I'm afraid maybe this time it is different and I'm going to end up with weight to lose after :/  Right now I'm 20 weeks pregnant and I've already gained about 14 lbs!  I guess only time will tell.  As for losing the weight, if you're nursing, right now balanced nutrition is the most important thing and the loss will follow.  Good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

mandi2660
on 10/31/13 2:39 pm - Canada
I am four and a half years for vsg and am 27 weeks pregnant with my first child post op. So far I have gained 10-12 lbs. I am struggling with the fear of weight gain and having to lose it postpartum so am hoping for some tips as well. I would agree though that while nursing I would think a balanced diet including healthy carbs is the beat plan.

Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1240 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 862 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views