Surprise you are pregnant!

byoungatheart
on 12/15/13 6:42 am - Seattle, WA
VSG on 04/02/12 with

Hi everyone!  I haven't been on the boards in quite some time - but after finding out I was pregnant last week  thought I would do some research.  Here is my background.  Had sleeve in April 2012 - lost over a hundred pounds within first year and have slowed way down and basically been at the same weight give or take for 9 months.  I haven't really been trying to loose the last 20 pounds but just enjoying the new bod!  I am also turning 42 next month, had a breast reduction in '94 and am a DES daughter - if you are familiar with that.  I had just been in to see OB about potential to get pregnant and was told there were lots of barriers to it happening.  Well then "surprise" I am.

I know all the risks etc with age and DES   - but wanting to find out more about eating post WLS while pregnant.  I eat small meals through out the day but get about 1500 calories if I am eating healthy.  How do you get enough to eat for the growing baby?   Love to hear from those of you who got pregnant.  I am taking prenatal vitamins, calcuim and dha supplement.  I had slacked off on b-12 tabs wondering if I should start them again.  I know it is premature to tell people about the pregnancy - but everything i read talks about how important eating is in the first trimester for healthy growth.    Thanks for the wisdom!  

Starting weight 289, Pre-Op 274, Month 1: 252, Month 20 - 173  -   find me on myfitnesspal: newme1875

Mom2Noah
on 12/15/13 3:31 pm - Bakersfield, CA
VSG on 07/05/12
I just had a baby 4wks ago and nly problems I had during pregnancy was being deficient in my vitamin and iron labs almost the whole time. Yes take your b12 also normal vit d and a doses as I ended up on script d and high dose of a from 4 months til end. I ate less cals than you are currently but I wasn't at goal when I got pregnant. You only need about 300 more cals than you normally would eat to supplement to baby my nut and Dr told me. I was at 800 cals prior to pregnancy and they wanted me at 1100 by second trimester I usually got around 1000 cals the entire pregnancy and about 70carbs per day. Just talk to your nut if you have one but don't get into the mindset of eating for two cause it's so wrong lol. Congrats and hope it goes well for you.

Paula622
on 12/17/13 11:04 am

Congratulations!  I second the sentiment about not "eating for two" the extra 300 calories is 300 above YOUR normal, not above the "normal" of 2000 per day.  So, 1500 may be just fine for you.  I know for me, I have a really small frame and my body simply doesn't need much to maintain.  So, even when I add calories, I'm eating what many would consider "diet levels".  Don't let people make you feel like you need to eat a ton, the baby will get what it needs from you, and as long as he/she is growing fine, the scale isn't super important.  I had my first post op baby when I was 6 months out from my sleeve and I had no issues with getting enough vitamins and nutrition.  I gained about 18 lbs and lost it right away, plus 10 more to reach a normal BMI.  I am currently 27 weeks into my second post op pregnancy and struggling a bit more with staying on track health wise.  I get low blood sugar a lot, so I find myself snacking all day just to keep an even keel.  I've already gained almost 20 lbs, but I went into this pregnancy at my lowest adult weight, so I'm hoping that is factoring in a bit. 

Anyway, good luck to you!  Sending you lots of wishes for a healthy, easy pregnancy!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1251 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 864 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1327 views