What are some of the nutritional modifications with pregnancy?

Diana E.
on 1/2/14 3:43 pm
VSG on 03/27/13
I had VSG in March 2013. I'm still in losing mode. Just found out I am roughly 5 weeks pregnant. And of course I have a lapse in medical coverage until Feb 1. I'm trying to maintain vs lose...Although I'm still losing, just much slower. During your pregnancy, what were some of the nutritional changes made for you and any vitamins/mineral changes?

HW- 318    SW- 310    CW- 194.4    GW- 170-ish  Onderland: 10/30/2013

Celia S.
on 1/4/14 3:36 am - Grand Junction, CO

Baby needs you to consume a MINIMUM of 100g of carbs a day for neural tube development, so if you've been following the high protein/ low carb diet as most of us have, now's the time to stop. Continue to get plenty of protein and water in and add healthy fats if you've been avoiding those as well.

As for vitamin changes, I kept up my bariatric vitamin routine and simply added a prenatal on top of it, though I have the malabsorption factor where you do not, so that may not work for you.

Congrats on your pregnancy and best wishes for a happy, healthy 9 months!

Paula622
on 1/9/14 9:27 am

I got pregnant with my first post op baby when I was 6 months out from my sleeve.  I was mostly done losing, so I just kept eating what I already was plus I added in a few snacks.  As pregnancy progressed, hydration became more of a struggle for me (this has been the case with all my pregnancies) so I needed a gatorade every evening just to keep the braxton hicks tolerable.  Yes, it is lots of carbs, but my weight gain was fine, so it seemed like a fair trade off for the hydration.  As for vitamins, I took two chewable target brand multi vites (generic flintstones) which have as much or more of everything in a prenatal, so I checked with my doc and they were fine with me continuing with that.  I also took a calcium/D supplement.  I'm currently 30 weeks into my 2nd post op pregnancy and this time my iron is low, so I've simply added an extra iron supplement to my routine.  Otherwise, all my levels have remained fine despite an early post op pregnancy, nursing, and another pregnancy.  Good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1235 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 860 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1322 views