Breastfeeding 5 years post op

jennirjohn
on 7/31/14 9:41 am - Fremont, CA

I'm 5 years post op from a RNY and have a beautiful 5 1/2 week baby girl. I've been exclusively breastfeeding. So far things are going pretty well. She's been a little bit of a slow weight gainer, but still within normal. Her pediatrician isn't concerned. I'm just wondering who has successfully breastfed their baby and for how long or what problems others have faced. I'm hoping to breastfeed for at least a year. 

Jenn :)
Highest 347/Orientation 306/Surgery weight 259/Current 232/Goal 150
emmalyn
on 8/1/14 6:22 am

I am interested in the answers to this as well. I breastfed my first son for a year but that was 10 years ago. This will be my first baby post op and I want to breastfeed too but I am worried about being able to make enough milk for baby.

Angie C.
on 8/12/14 12:37 am
Im 7 years post-op RNY and am on child # 2 after RNY. The first one I had a grand total of a 1 lbs. weight gain through whole pregnancy. I had to eat non-stop, and crap too to keep gaining weight. I measured small through it all and she was born healthy, but small at 6lbs. There was no way I could fit in another 500 calories to sustain breast milk production.. and oh did I try! but after 4 days, she wanted more than I could produce and I had to supplement with formula. Oh, how I cried...

This one is bigger so far, I've gained 6 lbs over starting weight - but I also packed on an extra 10lbs pre-conception to help with the weight loss that would come with 2nd trimester... and am measuring more normal at this time around. I'm really hoping I can breastfeed this one!!

I'm surprised you can feed - considering that they say you need to consume 2000 calories a day to have milk production? how do you get that much in? I graze all day now on anything I want and am full allll the time. I cant eat candy bars & fast food, I would feel awful.

RNY 4/17/2009- 130 lbs lost!    

~Pregnant with 3rd girl! Due 10/8/14 and keeping right on track!~ 
~Baby Grace Fay was born 3/20/2011! 6 lbs, 18 inches and doing great! ~
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

allicole1235
on 9/10/14 3:29 am - Chesapeake, VA

Hello! I had RNY almost 3 years ago. I have an 8 month old who I have exclusively breastfed and plan on to breastfeed for a long time. I gained 30 pounds during pregnancy and havent lost any of it! I eat all the time to keep up with the calorie demands. My DD is a slow gainer still. Sh is 14 lb. 11 oz at 8 months.

I feel like the gastric bypass has changed my milk composition. Manly friends who breast feed and I see there frozen milk/fresh pumped milk looks WAY more fatty then my milk. There have been no studies on it but I really feel that my milk has less fat, etc then normal and that contributes to her low weight gain.

Reach out if you want to talk more!

Lianne C.
on 10/14/14 4:34 am - Garden City, MI
I have had 2 post op babies that I successfully breastfed for a whole year.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1232 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 856 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1318 views