6 months post op and pregnant (last year)

anonymous_one
on 1/20/15 1:05 am, edited 1/20/15 1:13 am

After years of PCOS we never took precautions. Well I was a rock star, going from 306 lbs to 178 in 6 months!!!!!!!! Then I got pregnant. My baby was too little, and the doctors feared IUGR, intra uterine growth restriction, as a result of my weight loss. The pregnancy became very high risk, I was taken over by a special team of perinatolgist. Everything was going wrong. We had 3 appointments a week, 2 were ultrasounds, every single week. They put me on a high calorie diet to get the baby the energy she needed to grow, she needed body fat for her brain to grow. I went from 178 lbs to 205, which they loved. They took her out via c section, (emergency) over a month early, fearing she was too malnourished still in utero. She was not breathing and was on a ventilator. Then she was able to move to a nasal canula after a few days. She spent 5 weeks in the NICU. Today she is fat and healthy, six months old and perfect! However, today I am 212 lbs and can not seem to restart the weight loss, no matter what I do. It is devastating to have been within 20 lbs of my goal (and everyone said I was too thin lol), to now being 55 lbs away with the scale sneaking upward a couple pounds a month. I am so thankful for my daughter but her timing put both her heath and my long term health at risk. My only advice is birth control for the first 1 or 2 years no matter how sure you are you can not get pregnant. I had still not even had a menstrual cycle in a year when the dr told me my blood work revealed I was pregnant. 

Doingrightin2015
on 1/22/15 9:09 am
RNY on 03/10/15

go over to the regained weight boards they have some very well suggestions ways to start your weight loss back.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

anonymous_one
on 1/22/15 9:25 am

Thank you, I will look into that. 

Lianne C.
on 2/10/15 3:24 pm - Garden City, MI
I know you posted this a while ago, but I thought I would give a little light.
Your baby is only 6 months old. Doctors tell women to wait at least 2 years to have another baby because it takes almost that to get your body and hormones all back to normal.
I have had 2 post-op babies and did so many things after both and could not lose anything till after they were at least a year old, and I have PCOS. It may be harder for me as well because I am now 6 years out of surgery, but stress can be a huge factor in not being able to lose as well.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
anonymous_one
on 2/10/15 9:08 pm, edited 2/10/15 9:09 pm

I also have PCOS, I was diagnosed at 16 and have a very severe case. I not only never had more than 2 periods a year my entire life, but often go through phases where I gain steadily 1 pound a day for a year strait WHILE dieting. Currently I am gaining at a rate of .75 a pound a day for the last 5 months. I eat protein first, stay away from slider foods, walk no less than 5 miles a day, 7 days a week, make my carbs count with only eating carbs of good nutritional value. So I think what you are saying has merit, there has to be something hormonal going on, because I am rapidly gaining just like I would pre op. My hormones would fluctuate so much since I was 16 that I was 300 lbs every 2 or 3 years and 200 every other 2 or 3 years. I have tried going back to the basics, I am actually on a liquid only diet now, the 5DPT. But the scale keeps climbing! I can predict very very accurately what it will say, I weigh myself every 2 days and every 2 days it is exactly 1.5-2 lbs more. I have been freaking out that the surgery was all for nothing, that I will be over 300 lb again by the end of the year. You have given me a little hope that 6 months from now when my baby is a year that my hormones may balance out and the curse of unjustified rapid weight gain will stop! 

adsmith75
on 7/20/15 7:33 am

I understand exactly what you are going through. I had my surgery 01/11/2010. I lost 108lbs. I had PCOS and thought I couldn't get pregnant as well. Well, I did about one year after the surgery. My baby was premature weighing only 2.8lbs and in the NICU over two months. I did gain about 30lbs back but thought I was back on track. About one year later I was pregnant with my second child. He was born at 35 weeks due to preeclampsia. My weight claimed up to 240. I did go down to 227 a week after I gave birth, but a month later I began to steadily gain about 10lbs a month consistently. I am now back up to my surgery weight. I have started trying to get back on track and this week have lost eight pounds cutting all sugar and bread. You should try this as well to see if it works for you. Goodluck, I know I'm going to put my all in to get my body back!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1233 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 857 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1319 views