When Did You Get a Positive?

Colleen O.
on 3/3/15 11:11 pm
VSG on 04/09/14

I'm nearly 11 months post-op.  I suffered with PCOS before weight loss but have had almost a year of pretty normal periods now. My fiancé and I haven't necessarily been trying to get pregnant but we haven't been vigilant about preventing it.  We were thinking it would be best to wait until after our May wedding to really try.  I'm 40 so I didn't want to really work at preventing it either in the interest of time.  Anyway, my period is now 6 days late.  It was due to start Thursday. I haven't had any hint of spotting.  I have had tender breasts but that's not totally abnormal for me. My fiancé swears I have complained about nausea more and that my areolas are "a lot more red" than usual.  I took a home pregnancy test Sunday morning and yesterday evening and both were negative. I've read that some women are weeks late with their period before they test positive but that seems odd to me.  I'm not sure what to think and it's driving me insane.  Any thoughts from those who've gone through pregnancy after surgery and/or over 40?

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

civilmomma
on 3/4/15 11:50 pm
VSG on 03/07/14

Typically if you are pregnant enough for symptoms you are pregnant enough for a positive pregnancy test.  An at-home test can detect HCG as early as 8 or 9 days past ovulation and by 14 days past ovulation a pregnancy test should be fairly obviously positive.

Really - your period may not be late...if you ovulated later, then your period would be due later and this could just be PMS.

the second half of your cycle is usually consistent...it is the first half leading up to ovulation that can change depending on stress and other influences.

being that pregnant without a positive test is RARE.

I suggest you read a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility or sign up at Fertilityfriend.com and do the free tutorials to learn about your cycle and how that all works.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

RizingPheonix
on 6/6/15 5:29 pm - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 12/03/14

Hey Colleen,

PCOS can make things a bit different and challenging for you. I also suffer from PCOS, my entire adult life and didn't have a positive pregnancy test until I was 8 week pregnant with my son who is now 16 years old. Yes, OTC pregnancy tests have certainly improved, however low levels of HCG, the pregnancy hormone tests check for, can be dangerously low in PCOS patients because they are not producing the correct levels of hormones to support the pregnancy, primarily progesterone. If you are not trying to prevent pregnancy, then make sure you are taking a folic acid and DHA rich prenatal vitamin everyday. Just dont take it at the same time as your iron (as I'm sure you know, iron and calcium bind and you end up not absorbing any of it) and if your period refuses to show, call you doctor and talk to him/her. It may be time to go in and let them draw a hormone panel after running their own pregnancy test. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1239 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 861 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1323 views