Morning Sickness after Bypass

Margeson2012
on 6/1/15 7:43 am

Hey Ladies,

I'm gearing up to start a family of our own but I had a few questions....I've heard that morning sickness after bypass can go two different ways for women - 1. they have no symptoms and very little nasuea  OR 2. They are very sick for the first trimester and part of second (some saying worse than a pregnancy before bypass)....So my question is what is or has your experience been thus far?

If you hadn't met your goal weight yet, did you continue to lose during your pregnancy? Were you able to lose after your pregnancy?

Any helpful tips or advice is welcomed!

Thanks,

Heather

erinbrauh
on 6/3/15 2:10 pm

I wish I could offer input but I'm not starting a family yet. I just have a question for you because I'm curious, I hope you don't mind me asking but how far post-op are you? I just had mine 3 months ago, and my husband and I are still a couple years away from having kids. I am just curious how soon after surgery you're trying.

Margeson2012
on 6/3/15 2:16 pm

It will be a year to date when we start trying. My doc said he really wants me to wait 18 months but considering my age and medical history he approved me trying after 12 months.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/5/15 11:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If it helps, I got the go-ahead from my doctor for one year post-op. I had my IUD taken out 13 months after surgery, and ended up pregnant three weeks later. :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/5/15 11:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I can't speak to bypass, since I had VSG, but I fell in the middle. I never actually threw up, but I had a low-grade queasiness pretty much all day until I hit week 13 or so. The worst was probably around weeks 9 - 12, and especially on an empty stomach. My OB has worked with other WLS patients before, and she suggested that it would be fine to add some carbs-- especially if that was what my stomach could handle! So I ate a LOT of peanut butter sandwiches on dark bread, and it helped a lot.

Since that point (I'm 18 weeks now), my stomach has been totally fine. I get to deal with all of the other fun symptoms (whoo round ligament pain!), but that's a breeze compared to vaguely nauseous. I still make sure to eat frequently, every hour or two, and I don't worry too much about carbs because that's what I've been craving. The OB says it's far better that I'm craving Wheaties than potato chips or ice cream!

I've gained less than 10 lb so far-- I was 148 when I got pregnant, and 156 right now. I'm 5'5" so 150 is the "normal BMI" range for me, and my OB said I should gain about 25 - 30lb for the whole pregnancy. Zero worries about losing it afterwards; if I could lose 140 before, 30 isn't nearly so bad now!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Kblue
on 6/15/15 4:00 pm

RNY 2002 waited until 2005 to start a family. During that time I was so very sick and hospitalized gained 15 lbs with that pregnancy. The second in 2010 mild morning sickness weight gain 35 plus 15 after.

ugh.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1237 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 861 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1322 views