Pregnancy and nutrition advice?

NHPOD9
on 10/18/15 4:05 pm

Was anyone given special nutritional advice to consider when pregnant? My ob/gyn practice sent me to a hospital (not nearby) for a variety of tests and appointments. During that crazy day, I never saw the doctor who was to have spoken to me about nutrition. I'm not particularly concerned, nor do I want to go back to that hospital, but thought I'd see if anyone was given specific advice they were to follow because they had WLS.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/20/15 8:31 am
RNY on 08/05/19

All I was told was that I should shoot for about 1800 - 2000 calories, and eat whatever I could keep down (especially at first). I've been totally turned off of meat, so I haven't been getting as much protein as I did while losing weight, but neither my surgeon nor my OB have been too concerned about it.

Granted, I've gained a bit more weight than I hoped (40lb), but that's because I sort of threw healthy eating to the wind in the second tri when I started to hit a bit of depression...

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NHPOD9
on 10/20/15 9:06 am

Thanks, Julie.

I've had a heck of a time keeping food down or having an appetite, so I've been eating too many carbs.

And I've hit a bit of a depressive slump as well.

Everything is so very overwhelming.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/20/15 9:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

My first trimester, carbs were about the only thing I could eat. I lived on PB&J and had gingersnaps for breakfast-- I never threw up, but I was queasy 24/7. It got a bit better around week 15, I could do milk and yogurt, but I still can't do meat.

Right now, I've been craving breakfast cereal-- mini wheats and raisin bran. And honestly, since it could be a heck of a lot worse (my mom craved cheese danish), I'm going with it. I lost 140lb before getting pregnant, I can lose 40 after, even if it's not ideal.

Depression blows. PM if you want my email and we can commisserate!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

beckyp0320
on 11/2/15 7:48 pm

What pre natal vitamins did you guys take?

beckyp0320
on 11/2/15 7:48 pm

What pre natal vitamins did you guys take?

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/15 7:39 pm

Target brand gummies. They were the only ones I could stand. I also took an extra folic acid and omega as well.

Chickenboob
on 11/25/15 11:29 am - Rockland, Canada

Congratulations! Keep on program, just increase your calories. I didn't gain weight while pregnant (no worries, she was healthy), but I fell back into grazing habits, which naturally reduced the food/ liquids timing. so once she was out I gained between that and some anti-depressants for peri-natal depression.

Keep to your good habits.

Good luck!

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

Kaitlynll
on 11/30/15 10:31 am

I've recently bought great breastfeeding pillow at LaMillou. It has really cool shape of a Hen. Looks totally different than all the others I've seen before. In fact my 5 yo son sleeps on it from time to time you can find it at www.lamillou-us.com

Laura B.
on 1/18/16 7:52 pm - Lima, OH

I take prefera ob prescription tablet prenatal vitamins and a regular centrum. I take extra folic acid. I've been trying to just eat enough which I probably am just don't feel like I am. Doc said to only gain 10-20lbs with the baby. I've regained 40lbs from 2010 rny. So I'm trying to eat decent, I have no desire for meat either. Fruit and cheese sticks sometimes. I've been nauseous 24/7 as well it's difficult! I'm only 8wks

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1233 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 857 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1319 views