Gestational Diabetes

Oliviawashere
on 4/8/16 9:47 am

Just sharing. Hello all, I am currently 30 weeks pregnant - & 15 months post-op from VSG. This pregnancy has been rough, not in the sense of morning sickness or anything fun like that (Lucky there!) but I've had my gallbladder out 3 months pregnant & now I just found out even after my hard work of wanting to get pregnant and avoid gestational diabetes, I've learned I'm the "lucky" one & have gotten gestational diabetes.

I feel like a failure & that at times surgery was all for naught, even though I know it wasn't. I'm just ashamed that I'm the one that gets it, but it has put things back into perspective, cause I have fallen off the wagon, eating almost anything & everything I want, and this forces me back to eating how I am supposed to be eating all along. I've been checking my Blood sugars 4x a day, and all has been good so far, so I've at least got that going for me now. Trying to subside all the cravings though, isn't completely fun -- who said it would be though?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/11/16 2:18 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You know what? Women who've always been thin and eat perfectly through their entire pregnancies can get GD too. Bodies are weird!

I will admit that I went completely off the rails while pregnant. My cravings were PB&J and Frosted Mini Wheats. So many carbs! Hell, it even took me months post-op to get my eating under control. You have EVERY chance to do it, it's not as though surgery has failed you forever.

Look at it this way: you're doing a great thing for your baby by getting a diagnosis and doing what you need to to keep your blood sugar under control. That will help you to have a healthy baby and it's totally worth it!

You've got this :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

countrybella
on 4/28/16 11:14 am - Ashton, Canada

Hey there,

Have not been diagnosed with GD, however, am experiencing many of the other things you are.

Am currently 30 weeks today. I am being followed at the high risk unit in the city because of the surgery! So far, the pregnancy has gone well - I experienced major morning sickness all day long for the first 3 months, had some bowel issues, migraines, and extreme exhaustion to mention a few of the things, for the first 3 months only. After that, it has been smooth sailing for the most part. Last Friday I was very sick with "the runs," which continued all week! Today has been better - thank goodness.

I am the same as you, I can pretty much eat anything and everything. My portion sizes are definitely way more than what they should be as well. The major issue is that my body doesn't tolerate sugar well at all, and I can't seem to get enough of it. Always swore that I would never be one of those pregnant women who gives in to cravings because I felt that they were just an excuse to eat whatever you want - well, they're real! I was SO meticulous for the first  10 months after surgery - I lost 132 lbs - lost that in 10 months. They never expected me to lose that much, and only expected me to reach goal in a couple of years. Anyhow, I have not put on just over 40 lbs, that terrifies the crap out of me! I am praying that I am able to get back on track right after the baby is born.... I did it before, hopefully I can do it again!

The thing I have going for me is that sugar makes me SO sick. I crave it now, so I eat it, am violently ill for a while, but then I do it all over again 2 hours later. It is a vicious cycle. I get lethargic, sleepy, shaky, sweaty, just straight up SO SICK!! Eating a lot of pastas and breads, which I barely touched before also. Please tell me that this is all a phase during pregnancy and that I can and will get back on track!!!

For the glucose test, my doctor didn't make me do it, too much sugar, risk of getting too sick, and being too far from home (I'm about an hour from the hospital) - instead, I ate a donut and cookie, then did the blood test on my way home from work exactly an hour later. Well, the blood clinic screwed up and didn't do the glucose portion of the test - SO MAD! So now, the doctor said he isn't gonna put me through all that again and will just do a couple of random tests throughout the remainder of my pregnancy. 

Anyhow, just thought I would share my experiences with those of you who are going through the same things.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/10/16 9:36 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I was in the same boat. I fell completely off track while pregnant and went from 148 when I got my IUD out, to 190 when I went into labor.

I swore up and down that I'd get back on track when my son was born, but it's been FAR harder than I imagined. 6 months out, I'm only down by 15lb and I'm eating the same crap I did when I was pregnant. I'm still eating carbs and grazing, even though I KNOW I shouldn't.

On one hand, I want to be patient with my body. But on the other hand, I have nobody to blame but myself on this. So I'm buckling down, getting back to basics, and starting to be totally dedicated starting today. It's hard, but I think I can do it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1233 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 858 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1319 views