x-post: Who wants waffles?

Neen L.
on 6/7/12 4:08 am - Arlington, VA
I missed waffles a LOT after surgery. I love breakfast, so I wanted to find a way to have them every once in awhile. After a little experimentation, here's what finally tasted awesome:

Ingredients
-1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. whole wheat pastry flour
-1/4 cup graham flour (If you can't find it, you can just use more whole wheat.)
-1/4 cup soy flour
-2 tbsp. wheat or oat bran
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
-1 tsp. baking powder
-1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
-3 tsp. palm sugar or 1 tsp. raw honey
-1/2 cup non fat greek style yogurt
-2 tbsp. low fat milk
-2 egg whites
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-Pinch cream of tartar
-1/2 oz. chopped pecans

Method
Combine the egg whites, a pinch of salt, and cream of tartar in a blender and process until doubled in volume (about a minute).

Add the applesauce, vanilla, milk, yogurt, and honey and process until smooth.

In a separate bowl sift the flours and bran together with the baking powder and 1/2 tsp. of salt. Then add the dry ingredients to the blender and process until well combined. Stir in the chopped nuts.

Cook in a waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions.

Makes 5 tasty waffles at 130 calories, 3g fat, 16g carbs, 7.5g protein, and 3g fiber each. My waffle iron makes squares (I guess about the size of a frozen waffle, but thicker). These are really filling and I can usually only eat 2, so freeze the leftovers and just pop them in the toaster for a few minutes to crisp back up. If this is a post weight lifting meal, I skip the 2nd waffle altogether and have some scrambled eggs for more protein.

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

Most Active