Yuletide Snowball Bites

JennieTN
on 12/8/13 11:48 pm - Chatham, Canada

thanks to bariatriccookery.com

YULETIDE SNOWBALL BITES

Photo shows Yuletide Snowball Bites and Chocolate Truffles for Bariatrics (recipe on http://www.bariatriccookery.com/chocolate-truffles-bariatric s)

These are delicious bite-sized treats made from dried fruit, nuts, seeds and spices that are so much more healthy than the offerings in a chocolate box!  They also look wonderfully colourful with their grated carrot addition. I like to roll in chopped nuts for serving but you can also use grated or desiccated coconut, chocolate or coffee-flavoured drink powder or yet more seeds.

I used fresh grated coconut in mine but desiccated coconut works just as well (although the fat stats will rise just a little).  They will keep in the refrigerator for about 5 days – if they last that long!

Ingredients

METRIC/US

125 g/4 oz dried dates (about 10 small)

3 tbsp grated fresh or desiccated coconut

finely grated zest of ½ orange

50 g/½ cup walnut pieces

50 g/½ cup toasted flaked almonds

50 g/2 oz sunflower seeds

2 tbsp coconut oil or coconut butter

1 tbsp ground cinnamon

½ tsp ground cardamom

½ tsp vanilla extract

¼ tsp ground cloves

pinch/dash of salt

2 grated carrots (weighing about 100g)/1½ cups grated carrot

grated coconut, seeds, nuts or chocolate/coffee protein powder to coat (optional)

Method

1.  Place the dates, coconut, orange zest, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, coconut oil or butter, cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla, cloves and salt in a food processor. Blitz or pulse until well chopped (but still with some texture).

2.  Add the carrots and pulse a little to combine with the fruit mixture. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

3.  Divide and roll into about 22 balls then coat with extra coconut, chopped nuts, additional seeds or protein powder to coat. Place in small sweetie cases to serve if liked.

4.  Keep chilled for up to about 5 days.

MAKES 22

WLS PORTION: 1-2

CALORIES PER BITE: 75

PROTEIN: 1.7g

CARBOHYDRATE: 5g

FAT: 5.6g

Most Active