Cold Steak and Cucumber Salad With Ponzu

Donna L.
on 10/6/16 2:36 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I am eating more protein so I eat less crap.  This means I sometimes eat steak for days - it's far more economical when you only eat 4 ounces.  I truly suffer, I tell you....

Anyway, I hate reheating steak so I've been making this.  It's amazing.  Ponzu is a vaguely citrus japanese sauce.  If you want to go vegetarian or save calories, you can make this dish with firm tofu.  I often will, after weighting and draining the tofu, slice it thin, top with shredded daikon, and then toss ponzu on top for a fast and low-calorie high protein meal.  It's got a lot of salt, but I need more salt apparently, so...

Here's the link to the recipe I used.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

vcroome
on 12/15/16 10:35 pm - Japan

Thanks for sharing Donna. I am absolutely OBSESSED with ponzu! I eat it on everything. Some of my favorites are tofu wrapped in very thinly sliced meat and fried in a fry pan and then topped with ponzu and shichimi (kind of like cayenne pepper) after it comes out of the pan, or a whole bunch of bean sprouts put in a bowl and covered with very thinly sliced meat and microwaved, covered with plastic wrap for 3 minutes and then dipped in ponzu and shichimi mix before eating. Yummm!

Donna L.
on 12/16/16 6:50 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Oh man, that sounds amazing too!  I will definitely try it.

I had never heard of ponzu before, but now I am seriously addicted.  It makes everything so much better!

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active