does anybody not recomend rny revision?

troy
on 5/31/06 1:52 pm - clifford, IN
i am considering having a rny revision and wondering if anyone has anything negative to say about it. i know it will be a tough thing. i had my stomach stapled around 6 years ago and lost 300 pounds and have gained 100 of it back. i now weigh 403 and i am starting to feel miserable again. had alot of trouble with first surgery. had an infection for 8 months and had fever to go along with it. just wondering if anyone had worse time of it with a revision than they did with thier first surgey?
Ms. Cal Culator
on 5/31/06 4:34 pm - Tuvalu
I'm partial to the DS. When I had my band surgery revised, it was to the DS. come visit: http://obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/ Sue
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/06 9:20 am - Fairborn, OH
Same with me...my original RNY (2001) was revised to DS in May 06. Check it out to see if it is for you. Lots of good info on the DS board. Whatever surgery you chose, good luck. Kim
smileey
on 5/31/06 11:16 pm - FL
I had way worse trouble with my revision than my original surgery but I attribute that to the surgeon's mistakes or lack of skill in preforming the revision itself. (see profile) Anyway I would recommend to you that you find a revision surgeon that is VERY experienced in revisions, not just first time wls. My revision surgeon had been doing wls for over 20 years but I still ran into many toubles. Hope this helps.
dawn1234
on 6/2/06 8:02 am
Hi Troy, I had a revision last year and went from a VBG(done in 1997) to the RNY. I had alot of complications postop....and nearly died. I developed 2 abscesses with the 1st being surgically drained and the second putting me in the hospital for 1 week on IV antibiotics and Iv antifungals. It was during this time that they discovered my stomach pouch had a leak and had formed a fistula to my peritoneal cavity. I had a penrose drain in with a walking foley bag that drained the fistula for 6 weeks. During those 6 weeks I had over 21 staples drain into my drainage bag....what a scary sight! I also had to be feed through tube feeds for over a month. I healed though....and I am doing great now! I am below my surgeon's goal wt and still loosing(down to 137 lbs this morning and I am 5'8"). I am asked by alot of people who knew what all I went through if I think it was all worth it.....and for me yes it was worth it. I am finally able to eat the way I should eat(my VBG had almost scaried my stomach shut and I had vomitted almost every meal for 4 years). I am off ALL medications....CHF meds, asthma meds, HBP meds and antidepressants! My profile had alot more info but some how this week when I updated I lost everything! So, if you have any questions please feel free to ask away! I would definitely find a HIGHLY experienced surgeon who has performed alot of revisions....ask the tough questions about complications and death rates! Again if u need any more information please feel free to contact me! Dawn
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/06 6:10 am - Fairborn, OH
I also had RNY revised to the DS. If you do choose to go the route of revision, then I'd highly recommend that you look into this route. The DS has excellent long-term results. My revision was completely different from my original surgery, not bad - just different. I woke up after surgery feeling much more wide awake and in no pain, but once I got home, recovery took about twice as long. I am slowly feeling more like my normal self, but it takes time. If you do choose a revision, please be sure to know what the long-term results of the surgery you choose. It makes a big difference.
lunastella
on 6/12/06 2:13 am - St Paul, MN
I had a VBG in 1991 and in January of this year revised to a DS. Am I pleased??? Yes and no....I have lost 50 lbs...I was hoping for more...but revisions lose slower. I had no complications with my surgery. I had it done open, which I think is better since there is so much being done. I had no drains or anything!!! I first went to a RNY surgeon who actually referred me to the DS surgeon!!!!! He said the DS would work better for me. Being a revision I have to try harder and watch what I eat!!! I can actually eat more at one time now than with the VBG - the restrictive band was taken out and the little pouch stomach was revised to a banana shaped stomach that is typical with the DS. Do your research and talk to people who have had revisions...that is what I did. Good luck to you!!! Laura
bandednomore
on 6/20/06 7:16 am - Charlestown, MD
I also had my band surgery revised after 3 years to the DS. I love it!
Most Active
Recent Topics