High Blood Pressure Worries

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/06 2:01 am - Plano, TX
I went for my pre-op testing the other day (my surgery is on the 12th), and my blood pressure was 158/95. A couple of weeks ago it was 156/98. This is the first time I've had high blood pressure and now I'm worried. Has anybody ever had to delay their surgery until they could get their blood pressure down? I'm only a week away from my surgery date, and I do NOT want to delay it. Any advice? What could be causing this? Has anybody ever had this problem before?
sopralto
on 6/4/06 12:39 pm - WA
Your blood pressure readings are not dangerous. It only means you need WLS more than ever. Hypertension is a known complication of obesity and losing weight will bring it down. Your blood pressure readings may also be transitory, as you are stressed about upcoming surgery or with having to meet with medical personnel. Best of luck.
Jo Ann
on 6/6/06 6:26 am - Orlando, FL
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but yes they could delay your operation due to high blood pressure. It's up to the surgeon and the anastheologists(spellling?) Whether or not they think if it's too much of a risk. I know that if that happens it would be very disappointing, but you have to remember that they are protecting you and keeping you out of harms way. I'm sure it's just worries, try doing some kind of relaxing exercises to see if that helps with the BP. Keep us posted on your progress!! Good luck to you!! I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Jo Ann
(deactivated member)
on 6/7/06 2:56 am - Plano, TX
Well I've been eating a ton of fruits and veggies and drinking tons of water. So I went to my regular PCP today and had him check it. It was still 140/96, so he put me on meds. My surgery is Monday, and he seems to think it will be okay by then. We'll see!
(deactivated member)
on 6/8/06 8:58 pm - Plano, TX
Here's an update on this subject. I went for me pre-op appointment today with my surgeon, and he said he's not worried about my blood pressure. He said if it was REALLY high, then he would worry, but if it is what it is the day of surgery it wouldn't be enough to stop the surgery. He said that people tend to have high blood pressures right before the surgery because of anxiety. So I'm not worried anymore. Thanks for your responses though!
Most Active
Recent Topics