Lots of revision questions...Help!!!

ohmysharlenea
on 6/5/06 4:20 am - Kamiah, ID
All right guys I need some help......I had a RNY Distal five years ago. Everything went wonderful...got below goal weight......then got back up to where I should be. Recently I have started gaining back...and am starting to look into revision. I need to know what all is involved...what are my choices....costs.....too make things tougher....my surgeon has retired so I can't contact him....my PCP has moved his practice across country so he isn't any help either. I am from a small town and finding someone familiar with this procedure is close to impossible. I don't want to start at the beginning again. What is this endoscopic procedure? WHat arethe costs for any of this? DO insurances typically cover this if it is done right? WHat are the requirements to even have the revision done? DO you have to gain back so much? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Sharlene
sopralto
on 6/7/06 1:02 am - WA
Have you had your labs tested recently? I see in your profile you are eating lots of ice. This may indicate a nutritional need that is not being met. The MD who does the "Endoscopic Gastric Bypass Repair" is Dr. Thompson http://www.brighamandwomens.org/gastroenterology/research/thompson.aspx I have an appointment for November.
(deactivated member)
on 6/11/06 6:03 am - Fairborn, OH
Sharlene - As more and more people get RNYs, you are now beginning to hear of people gaining weight about 4-5 years out. I had RNY in 2001, was revised to BPD/DS in May 06. If you are going for a revision of any kind, I highly recommend that you check this surgery out. It is great success with long term weight loss. My insurance company did pay (Aetna federal). Their requirements were that I can show where I lost the appropriate amount of weight and kept it off for most of the time and that I had participated in an exercise program. So I sent them my exercise program description that was approved by my work to participate in their exercise program, a food journal for about two weeks, my weight loss journal, and my records from my doctor's office. I was approved in about 3-4 weeks or so. This is becoming a huge problem with the RNY surgeries. I wish I would've know and I could have prevented myself from having to go through a second surgery. Good luck. If you want to know more about the BPD/DS, come over to that message board.
L. Maillard
on 8/5/06 8:43 am - Richmond, Va
Kimi, what did you mean about... This is becoming a huge problem with the RNY surgeries. I wish I would've know and I could have prevented myself from having to go through a second surgery. Good luck. If you want to know more about the BPD/DS, come over to that message board. I had my RNY in 2001, I think, and lost 155 lbs. and started gaining a lot of weight back in 2004 when I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress and went on Lexapro. I just ate and ate. I've gained back over 100 and have just been too chicken to go back to my surgeon. What exactly did you mean is becoming a huge problem? Thanks. Linda
Most Active
Recent Topics